1.1; Thneed-Ville

"Hello everyone! good evening, I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees, and I have something to say if you please, the story you're about to see, it actually happened. Just take it from me! but there's more to the story than what's written on the page, now relax and enjoy as I set the stage"

Thneed-Ville was a plastic little town, and they liked it that way. One boy stroll through town on his electric bike, just to see his crush; Audrey, they had been friends for quite some time, and he'd taken a liking to her, she was a sophomore in high school, and he was in 8th grade. not that big of a deal, he finally arrived at her house and parked his bike in the driveway, he knocked on the door with a bright smile, the knob slowly turned and soon revealed Audrey Silver. her bright red hair shined in the sunlight that was beaming down upon them, she was happy to see Ted and pulled him inside the home. "Ted! perfect timing, I want to show you something" Ted curious, gave a small smile, and nodded in agreement. "Ok! this way, and close your eyes" she replied, Ted could tell by the way she was pulling him they must've gone out the back door, "can I open my eyes now?" he chuckled, and Audrey returned a laugh of her own at the comment "Just a minute...ok now!" opening his eyes he saw a sight so wonderful, bright and unique nothing he'd ever seen. "Audrey, did you paint this?" He looked back at her as her smile spawned into a grin "You like it?" Ted took a second glance at the painting upon the building "Like it? I love it! But- What are those...?" Audrey sighed but with a smile. "Those are tree's,"

"Trees? like Real trees?" he asked as they laid looking at the sky together "yea! they said their tuffs were softer than silk, and even had a sweet aroma; 'smelt like butterfly milk'!" Ted laughed "what does that even mean?" Audrey shrugged and giggled "man having a real tree would be so cool" Ted went on "I know! I dream of waking up to see a tree growing in my backyard!" They both stayed quiet for a moment before Ted started up a conversation "I'm just thinking out loud, but how would you react if someone got you a tree somehow?" Audrey looked at him "oh, I'd probably marry them on the spot, no- thank sounds crazy-" Ted laughed "it's not crazy! not at all," they both spent the rest of the day together, watching movies, playing games and even painted with each other. as the sun started to set in the distance Ted waved goodbye as he headed home, 'it was almost 6:00, dinner should be ready quite soon' Ted thought to himself speeding up a bit, he soon had to slow down almost passing his house. He hopped off his bike and walked straight into the house "hey mom, hey granny!" He walked in after another lovely happy day spent with Audrey, his mom welcomed him home as he rushed to the kitchen table, taking a seat by his Granny Norma "Hello dear, how was your day?" The elder lady asked curiously "Oh! It was great, I hung out with Audrey all day and we had a blast-!"  Ted was interrupted by his mother setting plates on the table "oh thanks mom" Ted thanked the motherly figure as she returned a soft smile "Of course sweetie, now enjoy!"

Dinner was quiet, not much of conversation was formed among the three. Ted looked at his grandma, playing with her food causing him to laugh a bit "mom don't play with your food," his mom sighed then the question popped into his head; "um, hey Do you know where I can get a tree?" His mom just looked at him "But Hun we have a tree, it's the latest model!" Ted awkwardly laughed, "I know. But I mean-- Like, a real tree! One that grows and comes out of the ground" his granny smiled "you want a tree? You need to find him" Ted looked at Norma interested, "Ma it isn't time for your stories," Norma sighed "you're right I'm old, my memories fuzzy and can't remember to put my teeth in" Teds mother just glanced at her "stand down that not-" Norma cut it "no really I forgot my teeth," she paused "would you please get them for me?" Teds mom sighed, standing up "of course mom," she left the dining room and Granny Norma stuck her teeth in her mouth, it was slightly disturbing, but Ted was used to it at this point. "Now, about tree's" Ted smiles brightly "you'll need to find The Once-Ler" Ted slightly turned his head, what type of title is 'The Once-Ler' he shook away that thought and listened "The Once-ler lives out of town, he knows what happened to the tree's. He lives in a bitter place where no grass can grow a sour wind with only crows" Ted took a deep breath, taking in the information "ok, granny...is this a real thing we're talking about?" Norma snickered "I swear on my life he's real alright"

"They say if you bring him...15 cents, a nail and a shell of a great great GREAT grandfather snail he'll tell you everything you need to know" Ted has thanked his Grandmother that same night and planned to sneak out, which had gone successfully he had come across a button on the wall of the town, he pressed it and stairs appeared from the wall leading to a hatch he rode up them, turning to leave his bike had slid down the metal walls of the town speeding up his control of the vehicle before gaining his balance again. The air smelt bitter, and it was quite sour, Teds face scrunched with every breath he took, not sure he could get used to it. He ducked with fear witnessing a big structure with axes attached to it, he came out safely almost there he saw a building, deciding to park his bike near the street sign he walked the rest of the way which didn't take long at all. Around 5 minutes but he didn't mind, because he was now standing in front of the home of the so called Once-ler, walking to the front of the building to ring the doorbell, he pressed the button and out came a mallet it lifted up, he flinched before it slammed down on the piece of loose wood he had been standing on, sending him into the sky. He screamed in fear before he landed in a bucket held by old but sturdy pieces of solid metal. "WHO ARE YOU! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" Shouted the raspy old voice "I- I'm Ted! I'm Ted" Ted replied anxiously, his voice could signal he was frightened "Nobody is supposed to come here-!" The voice sounded furious "I- I came to learn about- Hey! People say if I give you all of this you would tell me about trees!" He tried to stand up for himself (still stuck in the bucket) the planks of wood that boarded up the window revealed his eyes, he looked surprised. The Onceler looked back at Ted "my apologies, it's just. I didn't think anyone still cared about trees." Ted smiled "well I'm the one who still cares" The Once-ler sighed behind the window and lowered the bucket onto the ground so Ted could be in a more comfortable place to listen to his tale "well then...it started a long, long-" Ted held his hand up cutting into the sentence "I'm sorry if I seem rude but can we start not so long...?" He awkwardly chuckled "do you want a tree?" The Onceler asked his face gave it away he was already annoyed "ah- yes sorry, continue" Ted smiled, and stayed silent "alright then, it started a long, LONG time ago."

"I was just a boy leaving home..."