Part 29: The Lesson at the Black Lake

Hermione's POV:

"CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES WITH HAGRID!" Luna calls. "HE SAYS WE'LL HAVE A SPECIAL CLASS TODAY!"

Thump.

"OW!" Draco moans. "Mental note: don't fall off the couch."

I giggle and gracefully step out of my bed. "Well, I'm perfectly fine!" I walk into the bathroom with an outfit in my hands.

"Humph. You know, you should try being nice." Draco sneers.

I snort. "Take your own advice." I walk in and throw on my white tee and blue jeans. I comb my hair and brush my teeth before heading out.

"Good morning, 'Mione, what do you think the class will be about?" Pansy asks me, her eyes shining brightly.

"Something special." I joke. I ponder it. "Maybe something that has to do with water? We've only done land and air magical creatures and beings so far."

Pansy perks up. "Will you be-"

"I took the potion." I told her. "I'll be fine."

Pansy slowly nods. "I hope you'll be okay then..."

Pansy and I head down to Hagrid's hut, talking about our classes.

"I really don't understand those Life Classes, they don't really have a curriculum, it's just random!" I complain.

"Maybe it's random because life is random, you never really know what's next." Pansy theorizes.

I pause. "Maybe."

"'ELLO CLASS!" Hagrids booms.

"Hello Hagrid!" We chorus back.

"Terday we're gonn' have a special lesson, down by the Black Lake. Le's go!" Hagrid waves us over. Pansy shoots me a look and I gulp. What are we doing?

When we get to the Black Lake, Hagrid leads us to the larger part of the lake, the part will-

"MERPEOPLE!" Hagrid booms again. "Terday, we're gonn' be learnin' abou' merpeople. Who can tell me the difference between merpeople an' a mermaid?"

Out of habit, my hand shoots in the hair, lightly hitting Draco's shoulder.

"OW!" He hisses.

"Yes!,'Ermione?" Hagrid looks at me expectantly.

I clear my throat. "Well you see, merpeople are born, raised, and live in the water. Mermaids are humans who turn into a merperson upon touching water. Merpeople don't have fine silky hair like muggles think, and they don't sing to lure sailors into the water, that's a siren. Merpeople can also only speak underwater, but mermaids can speak above or below water."

Hagrid grins. "Very good, 'Ermione! Terday, we're gonna go swim with 'em! After you swim with 'em, you hafta write an essay that's gonn' be due in a week."

Pansy and I both tense. Draco shoots us a weird look but I wave it off. "Hagrid, should we use a bubble head charm?"

Hagrid nods. "We have abou' half n' hour before we need to get out, go a-head!"

I whisper "Papula caput" and a bubble appears around my nose and mouth. I watch as my friends dive eagerly into the Black Lake. I slowly tiptoe in.

"Scared, Potter?" I hear Draco sneer jokingly. I lift up my head and see Ginny with her hands on her hips, a smirk on her face.

"Not a chance, Malfoy." Ginny giggles. She looks over at me. "Just waitin' on 'Mione!"

I sigh. "Alright...3...2...AHHHHH!"