Sweet 17

Its almost here.  I wont be a child very much longer.  Just six months until I am my own person.  My mother has started to get even more tiring as she tries her best to stick her claws into me and tame the wild in me.  She wants me away from my family.  She says its because she wants better for me.  I, although, can see right through her charade.  

Diesel has been teasing me for a while now that soon Ill be eighteen and his stint in jail will start.  Daddy just growls a lot whenever I come to the clubhouse.  King just watches me like I am someone he's not sure is enemy or friend.  I'm not sure what is so bad about turning eighteen, maybe when the time comes the tension will ease around here.

This afternoon Phoebe and I are meeting at the clubhouse to study for a chemistry test.  I know what you are thinking...chemistry Valerie, really...  I've decided to go against my precious mother and forgo university for cosmetology school.  In the future I would like to own my own salon...

"What are you doing here pip-squeak?" asked Diesel.

"Meeting Phoebe to study in the girls' room.  Mama is irking my last nerve.  I had to have a break D."

"I hear you.  Dad sees you here, he'll be pissed.  It's Friday Val."

"I don't get what the problem is...How many times have I been here on a Friday night in the past and watched movies with Phoebe and Rose in the girls' room while you guys have your fun?"

"Things are different now.  You are almost eighteen now.  Legal age.  I don't want my prez to loose his shit if a brother talks to you let alone touches you any time soon."

"Why would King loose his shit over me, daddy I can see, but the brothers know who I am and who I belong too.  They know to leave me alone."

"They know who you belong to Val, but you don't have his patch."

I laugh out loud.  "Diesel are you stupid.  I can't wear daddy's patch, mama does, when she shows up here that is."

"Wasn't daddy I was talking about" Diesel whispers, but I hear him.  I grab a coke from the prospect manning the bar, and begin to jump up from the barstool a moment after putting my straw in the can, when Im caged in by inked arms I'd know anywhere.

"Hi King" I say feeling a little nervous all of a sudden.

"Hi Valkyrie.  What have I told you about being here on Fridays huh?" He says with a new sternness in his voice I haven't ever heard.

"Sorry King, but I don't remember you ever telling me not to be here on a Friday.  I was going to the girls' room to study Chemistry with Phoebe.  It's never mattered before.  We can go to her house though.  I'll call her." I whisper putting my head down.  Rejection and unwantedness takes a grip on my heart.

King puts his finger under my chin and lifts my eyes to his.  I can tell he sees the water in my eyes as he studies me not letting go of my face.  His eyes turn tender when he sees my feelings are hurt.

"I only want you to be safe, and for me to not turn on a brother Valkyrie." King says to me.  "Things are coming down to the last few months before you turn eighteen."

"What does that matter?" I say getting angry

"It matters ALOT." He gets that toughness back.  I have a lot of respect and admiration for King.  He's younger than my daddy.  Only about 12 years older than me.  He is just throwing his weight around because he is the prez.  I am not a brother though.  I am the princess here, and king or no king there is no reason for him to be mad at me right now.

"You know I don't understand what your deal is with me lately, but I am tired of letting your mood swings bother me.  You don't want me here King just say it and I'll walk out the door and never walk back--"

"You finish that sentence, and I'll take you to my office and tan your ass like you need it done." He interrupts me.

"in it... touch me and see what daddy does.  Better yet see what your brothers do.  You may be the king or prez around here buddy, but I'm the princess.  Last time I checked there is no queen, so I'm it.  Do you think these men will allow you to harm me?"  As soon as the words are out of my mouth he growls loud and swings me over his shoulder.  I scream.  Diesel pulls his gun.

"King... six months.  Put her down, now.  Prez or not I have a bullet with your name on it if you touch her in the next six months." Diesel stares him down.

King slides me down the front of his body.  He stares deep into my eyes as a storm rages in his. "Listen to me Valerie when I say this... in six months when you're eighteen, we'll see who you listen to."  He storms to his office while I stand there with hurt, confusion, and a little terror running through my mind.  I turn to face Diesel.  He can see the fright on my face because he comes and wraps his arms around me.

"It might be best if you stay clear of here except for family events until after your birthday party ok Valley girl." He whispers in my ear.

"I don't know what he thinks I've done, but I'd never do anything to the club that would make him turn on me this way D, I swear it." I say to my big brother, needing him to believe me.

"We all know you haven't.  Even King does.  No one is mad at you Valerie.  King's string is wound tight right now.  He'll be ok in a few months, I promise.  You just call Pheebs and you all go to the diner on me here..." He hands me a couple twenties, and gives me a big smile.

"OK D, sounds like a good idea." I grab my stuff and get my phone out as I head out the door to my truck. Phoebe picks up after the first ring.

"Girl I'm sorry I'm running behind, I got pulled over again by Richie.  I swear if he gives me another ticket while he asks me out I'm gonna sick daddy on him!" I laugh at her excuse.

"When are you gonna give in to him Pheebs.  You know every time you go to pay those tickets he's already taken care of them.  You want him as bad as he wants you." I say to her like she's stupid.

"I don't know what you are talking about." she says quiet like.  "He's not even on my radar."

"Listen, don't worry about coming to the clubhouse, King is acting stupid.  Let's meet at the diner, ice cream on Diesel."

"Well in that case, since Diesel is buying let's order the whole menu and study the effect of sugar on the effectiveness of studying." She has laughter in her voice.

"I'll make sure I tell Diesel how much you like spending his money.  Maybe he'll give you a card..." I let that hang in the air.  She stays quiet for a minute before she tells me she'll meet me there and hangs up.  Poor Phoebe, she has the hots for both my brother and Richie.  richie may be a cop, but he's also a brother in the Black Rose MC just like the rest of our family.

I hear a motorcycle in the distance and look up to see King eyeing me as he goes through the gate.  I have no idea what his problem is but hopefully he gets over himself soon.