lvii.

Rhaenar just about managed to stumble into her room, her eyes blinking blearily out at her surroundings as she tugged the crown from her head, leaving it to the side before pulling on the dragon chains that surrounded her

Rhaenar just about managed to stumble into her room, her eyes blinking blearily out at her surroundings as she tugged the crown from her head, leaving it to the side before pulling on the dragon chains that surrounded her. She groaned, fiddling with every button as she desperately tried to pull the coat from her body. She got halfway down before groaning again, slumping herself to the bed.

Her muscles ached from the weight of carrying herself all day, and her eyes heavy as she desperately tried to gaze out She was tired, a strange combination of lack of sleep on the boat, mentally being drained by her meeting with the commanders, and the excitement of seeing Qotho and her babies. Rhae glanced out the window, the sky that soft lilac colour that appeared just before dawn; she sighed, seeing it was almost time for the rest of the city to be awake. "You're back." A voice called from beside her, a door shutting somewhere.

Rhaenar turned to face them, seeing a shirtless Mero drying his hands. He smiled at her softly. "Yes, sorry. I got held up."

"It's expected of old friends." Rhaenar lifted a hand, urging him to take it. He stopped for a moment, dumping the towel to the side before taking it, Rhae tugging him to the bed.

"I was with the dragons." She whispered, a look of shock crossing his face. Her hand rose, brushing his cheek for a moment. "He eased her, You don't have to worry about Qotho, I think he's..." What was the word she wanted to use? Preoccupied? Interested in Sake? "Got his interests elsewhere." She muttered, her eyes falling to the scruff of a beard on his face.

Mero's blue eyes seemed to soften for a moment, flickering over her face. She looked worn down, defeated as heavy bags lined her eyes. "How do you feel about that? I know before I came along there was something there."

Rhaenar's brow quirked without meaning to, her gaze lifting back to his eyes as she shrugged. "I don't know." She didn't want to hurt Mero's feelings by telling him that she was a touch hurt by the prospect of Qotho moving on - especially as he didn't even know Rhaenar had interest in Mero, but at the same time, she was completely happy for him.

"You can tell me if you're jealous, you know; I won't judge you." Her eyes widened, she was not jealous. Mero smirked. "So you are jealous."

She huffed. "I am not jealous, Mero."