cxvii.

Rhaenar's heart beat in her ears as her breathing became all she could hear, the plume of smoke barely catching up as her shoulders rose and fell

Rhaenar's heart beat in her ears as her breathing became all she could hear, the plume of smoke barely catching up as her shoulders rose and fell. He was here, standing at the other side of the courtyard. Her feet moved before her mind could connect, her hands instantly reaching out as he swept her into a tight embrace, pulling her from the floor. "I thought you had changed your mind." She said so softly, it was hard to tell she'd spoken at all above the noise of the courtyard.

"We'd run into some complications, we aren't used to the snow." Oberyn teased gently, running his hand over her back. "What are you wearing? Why do you look so bland?" He asked, setting her back to the floor as he gazed at the plain coat, his finger pulling at the braidless hair. There were no silver dragons adorning her, no white fur of a coat, or jewellery upon her skin; she was only in a dark coat, boots, and breeches. Why was his Dragon Princess?

Rhae giggled, shaking her head as she clutched his hand, taking it into her own as she held it in front of her. "The North don't like it."

"The North can find somewhere to shov-." His voice stopped as he looked to his left, seeing Jon stand to the side. "This is the one we came up here for?" The dark eyes looked on quizzingly, his brows dropping lower.

She tugged his hand, drawing his attention back to her as she smirked. "If you don't mind, we're here for a reason."

He nodded, eyes flickering back. "I can see that, but him?" He grimaced, eyes darting over him. "He's so... Dismal." Rhaenar was sure a stream of words were crossing his mind, his tongue holding as Oberyn's continued to flicker over Jon. He didn't seem pleased. "And why is it so cold up here? No wonder the Northmen are solemn. I feel like my balls are going to freeze off."

Rhaenar smiled, before taking his arm in hers and leading him towards Jon. "Believe me, it only gets worse." Oberyn glanced down at her, Rhae paying no mind as she stood just shy of Jon, a wide grin on a bright face. "Jon!" She called out, her twin turning to face her with a stormy expression as his brow dipped, the grey dragging up to Oberyn. "This is Prince Oberyn, from Dorne."

Oberyn's hand shot out, as did Jon's before they shook. "Are you the last?" He asked, his expression not lifting.

"Yes. There's no others on the King's Road." Oberyn confirmed, Rhae set back by Jon's peculiar attitude; Oberyn looking as equally confused at his coldness. Rhae had dealt with her fair share of awkward greetings in the North, of brisk attitudes and chilled expressions, but never from Jon.