lxvi.

I'm sorry for doing Red and Blue dirty like that and I loved your comments. 

Rhaenar had woken with a quiet thoughtfulness as she gazed up to the ceiling, new guards posted at her door

Rhaenar had woken with a quiet thoughtfulness as she gazed up to the ceiling, new guards posted at her door. Red and Blue's death had hit close to home, Grey Worm's near escape proving just how dangerous this group was getting. She felt powerless, unable to soothe it as she turned her head, taking in Mero. He'd hardly slept, hardly drank, hardly spoke; his personal failure having taken hold of him, as though he was responsible for the boys, as though he should have tried harder for them.

Deep, dark bags lined his eyes as they stayed firmly shut, his breathing too shallow to be in a deep sleep. Rhae sighed, reaching out to cup his face, her thumb running along that deep scar that marred his cheek. He huffed, leaning closer to her touch, his eyes still not flickering open. She didn't know how to help him, how to take the pain they felt away, not when it was clinging on to them, demanding their attention. The silence was too odd, Mero's fallen face too hurtful to see. Rhaenar could only hold him, try to soothe what she could but even then her touch wouldn't help it all.

She reached out, pulling him as tight as she could to him, her face nestled into his neck as his arms squeezed at her waist. He was up. "Good morning, my love." She whispered gently, running her fingers through his short strands of hair. Mero roused but barely, tucking his own head into her shoulder, his nose breathing deeply at the skin. Patchouli and Vanilla, a comforting scent to him as they remained tucked in the bed. "How are you feeling today?"

Mero grunted, shaking his head. "It's just going to feel bizarre, not seeing the two of them there." She nodded, feeling the same way. They were almost always guarding her door, always within arms distance, and now they were gone. Rhae felt infuriated at the sheer thought of the former masters, and she was glad that today she would express exactly how she felt. "They were my boys, I can't imagine life without them." He uttered, defeated. They had been close for almost a year, almost like family; spending almost every day with the other.

His back juttered for a moment, the wet falling to her shoulder as she held him. Red and Blue deserved better, all those who fell deserved better. They died in an alleyway, fighting the men who had always oppressed them. Rhae shook her head, glancing up. They didn't need to die like that. The mistiness grew in her eyes, her throat clogging. No, she couldn't; she had to be strong for Mero. "I know, it's going to be hard."

He glanced up, his eyes so bloodshot that it broke her heart all over again as she swept her hands onto his cheeks, holding him there. Mero looked so lost as they gazed at one another. A knock erupted from beside them, their heads looking to it. "Who is it?"