lxiv.

Rhaenar had found herself standing in the council room balcony frequently now, her hands flat against the cool, smooth stone, her indigo eyes trained on the buildings below

Rhaenar had found herself standing in the council room balcony frequently now, her hands flat against the cool, smooth stone, her indigo eyes trained on the buildings below. Everything was so quiet from up here, so freeing; as though the problems that had formed themselves simply disappeared. She knew better than that of course, but she couldn't help but want to believe it.

The doors behind her squeaked as one was pulled open, a figure joining her on the balcony. Rhae turned ever so slightly her eyes meeting the tall form of Ser Barristan as he stepped closer to her, his shoes barely making a sound. He smiled at her, and she returned it, letting him slide in beside her. "From here, it seems as though Meereen is the perfect city, no worries troubling them, and that they're happy." He chuckled softly, her interest peaking. "What? What is it?"

"I was thinking about all the times your brother made me go with him down from the Red Keep into the streets of King's Landing." Her brows raised, her smile creeping to a smirk as she turned, her attention solely on Barristan.

"Why would Rhaegar do that?" She'd heard so many stories about her brother, that she wished just once to meet him; her heart aching to know what the great Rhaegar Targaryen was like.

"He liked to walk among the people. He liked to sing to them." Sing to them! The thought brought a bubble of laughter to slip from her rosy lips, a lightness touching at her indigo eyes. "Rhaegar would pick a spot on the Hook or the Street of Seeds and then he'd sing. Just like all the other minstrels."

She couldn't imagine how he'd have blended in with hair as pale as theirs was, or features as distinctive. "How did they not notice him?"

Barristan chuckled. "He would pull his hair beneath his hat, grubby his face a little, and he blended in perfectly. The people never even knew." Rhae smiled.

"And what did you do?" If Rhaegar sang, did that mean Ser Barristan would join him? Would they both have sung to the crowds of King's Landing?

"I made sure no one killed him. And I collected the money." The money? "He liked to see how much he could make."

She raised a brow at her brother's antics. "He wasn't bad?" She questioned in surprise.