Chapter 37

Adrian's POV

20 days.
It's been 20 days since they took her, and I couldn't do anything. Why am I such a loser? I couldn't even stand up for her. I don't………don't deserve her. I tossed the blanket away as I know I'm not getting any sleep tonight.

How can I sleep when that day keeps on replaying in my head, as I hear those words over and over again. She is suffering there because I'm not strong enough.

"We have to take away your little mate from you. She's weak. She needed to be strong, strong for both of you."

I shake my head in the hope of getting rid of these words but I know it's futile. I haven't told anyone about this, how could I tell them that their beloved alpha, their sister, friend or daughter is taken away from them because I'm not strong enough. They would hate me as I'm hating myself right now.

I didn't plan on keeping it to myself but when we returned that day Xavier told me I can stay with my family for time being no one would judge me. But this is also my family and they need me more (yeah, what difference does your presence make).

We had a pack meeting that day to tell everyone what happened. No one blamed me, not a single finger was pointed accusing me, blaming for taking her away from them. They should have. They should have.

It was hard to decide who would lead the pack in her absence. There was still the risk of war hanging on our head though elders had warned him not to attack till we get our alpha back. But no one trusts those bastards to keep their words. Kyle was the best option but we all knew his mate needs him more. No one wanted Xavier to take this burden as they knew how hard his last years as alpha were. Leading without your mate beside you is difficult as their wolf couldn't handle the burden alone. So the next best option was Jay. I think he would lead the pack well. But when he was asked he just turned to me. He didn't say anything but I know the question in his eyes. I gulped and nodded still thinking about how horrible this idea is. Jay didn't seem to agree with me as he smiled and announce that I would be leading the pack as I'm technically their alpha's mate and that he would guide me wherever I need him. I half expected people to laugh at this and half expected them to demand me leaving the pack. But they did none of that, all I got was a quiet agreement.

I'm leading the pack since that day and true to his words Jay has been present as a guide and friend. I didn't know they had so many businesses among human. Human… I had never hated a word before. I didn't even know it is possible to hate a word especially that word that looks so innocent while describing me.

A lot has changed here, I never knew the impact a person has in your life, till seeing this. Everyone is different. Xavier looked like he aged a decade in these days. Tyler, that kid who couldn't be tamed, and everyone babied him while keep teasing him to death has grown up. He had himself taken the responsibility of keeping pack borders safe. He is pushing his body's limit. Well, we all are. Kyle is back at his training, he is pushing warriors hard but no one is complaining. Everyone wants to make their alpha proud, and no that's not me. They want Eddy to be proud of them when she returns. When she returns.

I and Stephen are training together well most of the time our session is separated from the rest of the warriors. Everyone, especially Kyle lost their shit when Stephen announced that he wants to participate in training. It's easy to stay that no one agreed but they couldn't bulge him. Even though I wanted him to avoid all this for longer but I understand his reasons, how could you sit still while your family and your mate are in danger. When no one from family stood up to train us Tyler did. He said that he would hate himself and others if he had to sit down at such times. Nobody argued after that but Kyle wasn't happy. Stephen and he didn't talk for over a week. But then he relented and now Kyle and Tyler train us alternate days.

My relation with them has changed a lot for the better. At least that's what I think. Training together with Stephen had made us good friends. I get a better understanding of "the boys" as Eddy loves to call them. These strong men that could kill you with bare hands have only one weakness their family which is also their biggest strength. I know they felt the same helplessness when they took her away.

Something good happened in 20 days, Jay found his mate. She is a feisty little thing. She was rogue and entered our pack while she was running from other rogues.

I smiled at the memory of that day. I looked at the time, it's 5:30 am. I should get ready for my training, it's Kyle's turn today and if I get there late he would make me run the whole pack border. And I can not do that when I didn't get 4 hours sleep.