Shift

I just want you all to know, almost every one of my chapters is me writing while staying up all night. Apparently a fucked up sleep schedule means I write better.

Isla spent the rest of the week feeling unwell. She couldn't figure out why she wasn't feeling well but she brushed it off as a stomach bug.

Alicia seemed to catch on to her not feeling well and helped her out with notes, much to Isla's protests. Isla could do her own work, something she made sure to tell Alicia several times.

It didn't help that she had been having that nightmare repeatedly, each time the ending a little different but still bad. One ending showed her being beheaded, another showed her being drowned. She always woke up in a cold sweat at exactly 2:43 a.m.

On top of not feeling well, she was mostly alone. Her parents had started this new job that made them go to work in the afternoon and come home in the late morning so they were only really home when she wasn't there.

What sucked is that it meant she was alone on her birthday. Even though she wasn't happy with them, she hadn't wanted to be alone. To her it seemed like they had planned not to be home because they had time to book a hotel.

"It sucks that my parents can't even be home for my birthday," Isla murmured. "Shows how much they care. Alicia's wished me a happy birthday and even came over but they can't even text me," she scoffed while standing in the kitchen.

Isla had spent the afternoon baking a cake, now she was just waiting for it to cool. "Does it really matter if it's cool? I'm going to be the only one eating it," she said as she opened up the store bought icing.

Isla dumped the icing onto thr cake, it slowly starting to melt. She spread it out as evenly as she could. She cut a slice of cake and plated it before heading to her room. She sat down on her bed and stared down at the plate.

Isla hadn't eaten all day because she had felt nauseous but she knew she should probably eat something. She sighed as she pinched off a piece of cake and nibbled on it. "Mmm this is sweet," she muttered.

Isla stared down at her plate, gasping as she felt heat shoot through her body. She looked down making sure her first nightmare hadn't come true. She pulled at her shirt, trying to cool off. She was surprised to see that the blackness in her veins had spread.

It had started off simple with a few on her stomach but had slowly grown. She had tried telling her doctor when she went to get a checkup but he had looked at her like she was crazy and said that he saw nothing. Isla had brushed it off as just being her imagination until now. It had spread all the way up to her breasts and was down to her thighs.

"What...the...hell...is happening?" Isla said. Her skin felt like it was on fire and she was starting to have a hard time breathing. Spots dotted her vision as she fell back onto her bed. She clawed at her skin before passing out, her nails still resting in her skin.

Isla woke up hours later, feeling like she was burning alive. Her eyes flickered to the clock showing it was now Sunday and 2:39 a.m. She sat up, crawling to her window and opening it. She closed her eyes for a second as she let the wind blow against her.

"I have to go," Isla said suddenly as she pulled herself out the window. She stumbled to the woods,  the roots of trees tripping her up as she walked. She felt thorns cut up her feet and kept walking. She dropped to her hands and knees in a small clearing letting out a sob of pain.

Isla let out a shrill cry as she felt her bones crumble and rearrange. She looked down at her hands watching them tense up and shrink in. Fur sprouted from her hands, matching the exact shade of grey it was in her nightmares. She closed her eyes, letting the pain shoot through her b ody and rearrange her bones. Once it stopped, she opened her eyes slowly.

Isla was staring down at her hands, now paws. She tried to speak, only managing to get a bark out. She tried to get up almost immediately falling back down. She turned her head to look at the rest of her body, seeing short grey fur and a long tail.

Isla's ears flicked as she heard every tiny movement in the forest. She could also smell so much better now. She could hear something big moving towards her and automatically growled. Her ears flicked back as she heard two loud growls respond back.

'Respect them, in their territory,' a voice in her head said.

'Great I'm crazy now,' Isla thought.

'No, not crazy. I'm Aphid, your wolf,' the voice, now Aphid, responded

'My wolf? I'm so confused,' Isla responded.

'Ooh allow me to explain. You are a werewolf, a very special one. You are an omega who survived your first shift,' Aphid replied.

'A werewolf? Those are real?' Isla asked.

'You just turned into a wolf and you're questioning the idea of werewolves,' Aphid pointed out.

'Fair point,' Isla said. 'How do I stand up?' She asked.

'I don't think standing's a good idea right now. Remember there are others around and they feel like we've intruded,' Aphid said.

'Right,' Isla responded as her eyes flicked to stare into the trees.

'Now when they get here, be respectful. Just lay here and don't move,' Aphid said before going silent.

Isla stared into the woods until two very large shapes appeared. Her eyes widened upon realization that these were the wolves from her nightmares. She locked eyes with both of them, making them freeze up.

'Mates!' Aphid exclaimed leaving Isla confused