Mates?

'What are mates?' Isla questioned Aphid.

'Soulmates. They're essentially your other half. Usually we only have one but it seems we got lucky and got two," Aphid explained.

'Oh,' Isla thought as she frowned slightly. Her head snapped up when she heard a branch crack, one of the wolves in front of her having moved forward.

'We should talk to them,' Aphid said.

'No, and how would we even do that?' Isla asked.

'Mind link. It's kind of like calling someone but through your thoughts. You can mind link anyone but they can reject the mind link at any time to close it,' Aphid said.

'I don't even know them so why would I want to talk to them?' Isla questioned with a frown.

'Because they're our mates,' Aphid said.

'I don't know them Aphid,' Isla sighed. 'Look can you just give me time to think? Away from them,' she questioned.

'Fine,' Aphid sighed dramtically.

'I need to know how to get up,' Isla pointed out. 'And I need to know how to walk,' she added.

'Okay so it's basically like bending your elbows and knees in human form to get up. Since your two front legs are straight out, pull them back in so that your joints are resting against your side,' Aphid said. Isla nodded internally as she did what she was told, struggling slightly. 'Now push your front body up and put weight on your front paws,' she said.

'Okay, here goes nothing,' Isla said as she put weight onto her paws and tried to push herself up quickly.

'No! Go slow,' Aphid corrected quite fast, concerned that her human might startle their mates with fast movements.

'Fine,' Isla rolled her eyes as she managed to sit up, feeling tired from that effort.

'Now slowly push your hind end up right leg then back leg,' Aphid instructed. Isla slowly managed to stand up, earning a soft growl from the tallest of the two strange wolves. Isla's ears automatically pinned against her head.

'Why'd it growl?' Isla asked alarmed.

'It is a she and she thought we were challenging her,' Aphid said.

'A she? I mean I've always thought girls were pretty but I didn't realize I'd be like Soulmates with one,' Isla thought.

'Oh well good news then. You're not mates with just a girl, you're mated to two women. They're older than us,' Aphid said. 'And by us I mean their humans are older than you and their wolves are older than me,' she explained.

'That's...interesting,' Isla said as she shook her head. 'Can we leave this area now? I need to be able to think,' she murmured.

'Of course. Just left front paw, right back paw. Then you'll do right front paw and left back paw. Or you could let me take control,' Aphid suggested.

'How do I let you take control?' Isla asked.

'Just tell me I can and I'll gently take over,' Aphid said. Isla closed her eyes as she sighed.

'You can take control for a little bit,' Isla said.

'Yes! Thank you so much,' Aphid said as she pushed Isla to the back of the mind. 'You'll be able to see but I'll control our body,' she said.

'Alright,' Isla sighed. Aphid turned and took off at a run, hearing a few barks of protest from the two she wolves behind them.

'I'm sorry mates,' Aphid projected her thoughts to them through a brief mind link betore shutting out all mind links. 'Our mates are going to worry about us,' she decided to inform Isla, hoping to change her humans mind of running off.

'I don't care,' Isla said. 'I don't know them and I don't like new people,' she muttered.

'I understand that but they're our soulmates,' Aphid said.

'You keep saying that like it means something. I'm clueless as to what you're talking about,' Isla said. 'Do we have to get married to them? Do I have to do what they say? Do I get a choice in a relationship with them?' She asked.

'We don't have to get married but we could. We don't have to do what they say, their our mates not our captors and you'll always have a choice. Our relationship with them depends on how comfortable you are with getting to know them,' Aphid said. 'We could reject them but that would be torture for us. They'd have each other to rely on to recover but we'd probably die from sinking into a great depression,' she explained.

'That doesn't sound like fun. The whole great depression thing,' Isla said.

'Oh it's not,' Aphid said. 'We'd end up killing ourselves at worst and never be happy again at best,' she said.

'That sucks. I don't want that. I want to be happy but I don't know how I'd even go about getting to know our mates,' Isla said.

'It's just like talking to anyone else but they'll have to love us anyway so you don't have to worry about them finding us weird and never talking to us again,' Aphid chuckled. 'God my legs hurt already and we haven't even been running around long. I haven't shifted in so long,' she said. 'Also thank you for letting me take control. Not many first time shifters are that easy to trust their wolves that much,' she said gratefully.

'Well you've given me no reason not to trust you,' Isla smiled internally. 'As long as you trust me then I'll trust you and do everything in my power not to break your trust in me,' she said.

'That's great,' Aphid said. 'We're coming up on a road, I don't hear anything,' she said as she crossed the road.

'That's good,' Isla said as she kind of just set back allowing Aphid to guide where they were going to end up.

Her vision suddenly went back as Aphid stumbled and blinding pain shot through her. 'Shit! Hunters trap,' Aphid said.

'What's going on?' Isla asked.

'We've gotten caught in a trap. The points of the trap are in our leg and we can't get out,' Aphid said.

"Isla!" A voice said as Isla's eyes rolled back in her head as she passed out.