five ; memories

AS I OPENED MY EYES, I no longer saw the white ceiling in my room

AS I OPENED MY EYES, I no longer saw the white ceiling in my room. Instead, it was replaced with blue. I sat up and realised that this was my room from when I was a kid. But what was I doing here?

I removed the blanket over me and slowly made my way out of the room, only to be met with a long hallway. I looked to both my left and right to see if anyone was present. To my dismay, it was quiet and eerie.

I walked to the end of the hallway on my right and saw a huge window.

I looked at the window and saw a bunch of roses. Roses that looked way too familiar.

All of a sudden, I heard giggling. I turned around and saw a room with its door slightly opened, light flowing out from the room.

I peeked inside and saw a young girl and her mother. More specifically, the younger version of myself and Mama.

I smiled, remembering the memories we created together. She was the best mom I could ever ask for.

"You didn't save me." I felt chills run down my spine and I turned around only to be met with Mama covered in blood.

I fell to the ground, pushing the door open due as I did so. My surroundings suddenly changed to one I was traumatised of.

My house, in flames.

"(Y/n), get out of here!" Mama shouted at me. She was stuck in her room that was covered in flames and I was outside, shaking in fear.

I was my younger self and I couldn't move. I couldn't change the outcome even if I wanted to.

"Mama, I'm not leaving you! Help will be here soon right?" I looked at her with tears running down my cheeks.

"Yes, go outside and tell them I'm here. They will save me okay? I promise you, I'll get out alive. Just go!" I nodded and ran outside the house and saw some big people in orange shirts.

"(Y/n)! Thank god you're okay! Where's Mama?" Papa ran to me and hugged me.

"Mama is still inside! Get her out Papa! Please!" I cried at him. Papa told the people in orange that Mama was still inside and some of them were getting ready to save Mama.

As they were entering it, a huge explosion was heard and the men were pushed back. Papa turned his back so that I wouldn't get affected by it.

When the explosion died down, it started raining and the flames were all being extinguished.

They entered the house again and after a while, they came out with Mama in their hands.

One of them looked at Papa and shook his head. I looked at Papa to ask him what he meant but Papa's face looked devastated as he dropped down to the floor.

"Papa, how is Mama? What did he say?" I looked down at Papa who was sobbing since his cries were heard.

He kept shaking his head and cried. I grabbed his shoulders and made him look at me.

"Why are you shaking your head, Papa? Mama's fine right? Why are you crying?"

I was confused why Papa was crying. He looked at me and shook his head again.

"(Y/n), Mama's gone."

Gone? What is he talking about? The man just came out with her in his arms.

"The man was carrying Mama just now. She's not gone. She's being brought to the hospital to get better right Papa?"

"(Y/N), Mama's dead."

Dead?

I shook my head like Papa. No, she isn't dead. She's alright. She's being brought to the hospital to get better. She promised me that she'd come out alive. She promised. [a/n: how ironic that the sequel is named promise]

I looked at Papa once again and looked into his eyes. His eyes were telling the truth. Mama was dead and that she was never coming back.

I dropped down to the floor and cried once again. Papa hugged me as he tried to comfort me. But I couldn't feel the pain as much as he felt. I felt dizzy and suddenly darkness overwhelmed me once more.

I woke up again and this time I was back in my room. I pinched myself and it hurt. Okay, I'm back in reality.

I looked at the clock and it was only a few minutes before the alarm clock would have sounded. I quickly snoozed it and thought back to my nightmare.

I've been having the same nightmare for years now. Mama's death was hard for us. The reason how the fire had started was still unknown. It bothered me since Mama couldn't rest in peace until we found the reason.

I got out of my bed and took a quick shower. I wore my outfit and did my hair into a braid.

I grabbed my bag, phone and wallet and got out of my room. I went down to the kitchen and saw Naomi and Shu already waiting for me.

"Morning (Y/n). Slept well?" Shu asked me as he started eating his breakfast.

"Not really..." I whispered.

"Did it come back again?" Naomi and Shu knew I had the same reoccurring nightmare. Only those two know, I was too scared to tell Papa.

I nodded at Naomi and also started eating my breakfast.

"You know it wasn't your fault. You were only 10 when it happened."

"Exactly. I was 10. I was old enough to know how to talk and run. If only I went out faster or had brought Mama somewhere before it all began, she would still be alive."

I looked down at my lap and remembered how I would always blame myself for Mama's death. I still do.

"We will find out behind Aunt Akiko's death. She won't be able to rest in peace until we find out the cause of her death. I promise you, we will find out."

I looked up at Naomi and smiled at her. This time, I promise you, Mama, I won't rest until I find out who was responsible for your death.

TBC