The Wink

We both arrived at school, late as expected. Instead of detention, we just got a lecture from the principal and then went to our classes.

“Where were you”!? Amy asked in a low scream as I took my seat in class.

“I was late and I ended up coming to school with Hoseok, who happened to live in my apartment building”. I honestly replied to Amy. She shook her head and laughed a bit.

“Wow, what was it like? Did you reveal your personality to him? What was his reaction to it”? She asked winking. It took me a while to realize what she was getting at.

“We just happened to see each other in the hallway and then started talking and then we casually walked to school as friends”. I replied, hiding the truth about Hoseok’s personality. She nodded and rolled her eyes a bit, then class began.

Throughout the day, everything went normally. School ended and I waited outside for Amy and hopefully, Hoseok. Amy showed up, but not Hoseok.

“You wanna hang out a bit? We could go get some bubble tea and sit in the park if you want”. Amy offered. I thought for a bit, I could wait for Hoseok or go hang out with Amy. I really want to get to know Hoseok better, but at the same time, I don’t want to leave my best friend hanging like that.

“Can we wait for a while”? I asked. Amy and I waited in our usual spot. I didn’t tell her why we should wait, she most likely knew that I was waiting for Hoseok.

It wasn’t long before he showed up. I ran to him in excitement. I wanted to hug him but restrained myself.

“Hey”! He said.

“Do you want to go get some bubble tea with me and my friend Amy”? I asked hoping he’d say yes.

“Are you sure you want someone like me coming along with you guys”?

“Don’t say things like that! You’re my friend, friends should always be included”. I smiled in response. Hoseok came along with Amy and I and after we bought our drinks, we headed for a nearby park and sat together. We laughed and talked and had so much fun together. It’s fun being with both of them. Then it was time to leave.

“So Amy, it was really nice meeting you”. Hoseok said before flashing a wink at her. We then went our way and Amy went hers. I was a little envious on the inside about the wink.

“Well that was fu-”. Hoseok said before I cut him off.

“Why’d you wink at her”? I asked hoping he wouldn’t notice the trembling in my voice that I tried to hide.

“Why not”? He laughed.

“No, seriously. If you like her just tell me”. I said on the verge of tears. I just wanted him to notice me and only me. I know it sounds greedy and just plain selfish, but that’s just how I felt.

“Ok maybe she’s kinda cute and all but-”. That was all it took for me to run ahead. I bolted for the apartment and he was chasing me. I didn’t look back, it would only hurt more. I was really beginning to like him.