Chapter 3

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is May 27, 2020. I hope that you all are hanging in there as school finishes out. If you ever need someone to talk to, please PM me; I will always answer. Anyways, I hope you guys are enjoying this so far. If you like Marvel, Star Wars, or Timothee Chalamet, check out my other works. I love you with all my person. Enjoy!

"So," Billy begins, "You dating Harrington?"

Y/n laughs. "Steve? No way. He's been my best friend since we were little kids. He just is really physical and protective. He's dating Nancy Wheeler, though. To be quite frank, I don't think they are going to last. I'm like, 90% sure she likes my older brother, Jonathan.."

"You got siblings?"

"Mhm. 2. Jonathan is a senior, and my little brother, Will, is an 8th grader." 

Billy nods. "That means Max and him are in the same grade."

Y/n smiles. "Maybe they'll become friends?"

Billy scoffs. "Doubt it. She pushes everyone away."

She shrugs. "Maybe you haven't tried hard enough to really see her."

He glares at her. "Don't tell me how I should act around that little shit."

Y/n looks down, embarassed. "Sorry."

His expression softens, but only a little. "It's fine."

They stand there awkwardly in the hallway until the bell rings, signaling the end of lunch. Students begin to pour into the hallways, heading to their next classes.

Steve throws open the doors and locks eyes with Y/n, blatantly ignoring Billy. He shakes the bag from BK teasingly.

She turns to face Billy again. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow." She nods and begins to walk away, but he grabs her arm, spinning her around to face him.

"Would you want to grab dinner with me?"

Y/n blushes deeply. "Um. Yeah, sure! Does tomorrow night work for you?"

Billy nods. "8:00. I'll pick you up."

"But you don't know where I live-" Y/n starts to protest.

"8:00. Be ready."

"Ok. It's a date."

                                                            \--/

Y/n is drumming on her notebook with the eraser of her pencil, focusing on the music drifting softly from Steve's record player. Her head hangs off the end of the bed opposite to Steve, who is busy drawing lazy shapes on his bedspread. This is how most of their study dates go.

"How did it go with Billy?" Steve asks, trying to mask the mocking tone in his voice.

"It went really well. Like, he uh. He asked me out." Y/n blushes, but Steve bolts up.

"HE WHAT?? Are you kidding? You said no, right? Please say you said no," he pleads.

Y/n smirks. "No, I didn't. We are going out at Friday, 8:00. Besides, why do you care? He just got here. He'll need friends."

Steve rolls his eyes and gives her a playful shove. "I'm Steve 'The Hair' Harrington. I know trouble when I see it. And he is it. I don't want you associated with him. He's bad news, princess. I don't want you to get hurt. I couldn't handle it."

Y/n clutches her chest. "Such cheesy words spoken from the King of Hawkins High."

Steve shrugs. "What can I say, I care for you!"

Y/n sighs and flops down next to Steve. "How did we get here?" She asks.

"What do you mean?"

"You. Me. Senior. Junior. King. Nerd. How are we so close?"

"We've known each other since we were toddlers; before anyone cared about social status. We just drifted to each other. Also, just because you're a nerd doesn't mean you won't get a lot of attention for your looks."

"Ok, so how did we stay together?"

Steve turns to his side so that he is facing Y/n. "Because. We have always been there for each other, princess. There has never been a moment where I have been scared because I don't know if I can fall without being helped back up. Even when I became increasingly popular and you became super hot, we stuck together. And then I started dating Nancy, and you had no problem with it, even though you really wouldn't have reason to in the first place." Y/n blushes at this.

"I'm so lucky," she murmurs while wrapping him in a hug. 

Steve turns bright pink but returns the hug, holding the sleepy Y/n in his arms.