Chapter 5

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is June 13, 2020. I took this story down for literally 5 hours because the sequence of events was so messed up, so I fixed everything and got it back up a lot earlier than I thought I would. No matter. How are you guys enjoying this? Is everything matching? Thoughts about characters or the plot line? If you like Marvel, Star Wars, or Timothee Chalamet, be sure to check out my other works. I love you with all my person. Enjoy!

Y/n slides into her seat next to Billy. She takes out a stick of gum to help mask the scent of cigarette smoke from her breath. Steve and her had smoked some under the bleachers. Y/n doesn't usually smoke, but she does when she gets nervous, stressed or anxious. Steve knew this and was always there with a big hug, story to distract her (it was about writing and editing a college essay with Nancy this morning), and a Camel pack whenever she needed it.

Her source of anxiety today: Will's appointment.

She knew she had to leave at lunch to go to Will's school, where her Mom would be waiting to take both of them to the Lab. Joyce didn't want Y/n to miss school, but when Will went to bed last night after his episode, Y/n broke down in front of her mother and confessed her worries for Will's wellbeing. This definitely pursuaded Joyce. She wants her daughter to feel safe and at ease, too.

"Morning, doll," Billy greets.

Y/n blushes. "Billy."

He leans in and brushes hair away from her ear. "Don't think I can't smell the cigs on you."

Y/n blushes even more, but scowls. "You didn't have to point it out."

He leans back in his chair. "I didn't take you for a smoker."

"I don't."

He raises his eyebrows.

"Ok, well I only smoke when I need to take the edge off my nerves."

He leans forward again, cracking his knuckles. "Is someone bothering you? Is it Harrington? I'll take care of them-"

"I'm fine, Billy! Just back off."

He backs away, stunned at her outburt. Her face immediately falls. "Billy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap."

Billy raises his hand. "Can I get a hall pass for Y/n? She feels really sick; I want to take her to the nurse's and make sure she is okay."

Y/n looks at him, confused. The teacher gives the pass to Billy, who grabs Y/n's hand and tugs her out the door, the eyes of jealous girls following them.

He pulls her into the Boys Bathroom. "What are you doing, Billy?!" Y/n exclaims. 

He sits her down on one of the toilets and locks them both in the stall. "What the heck?!" Y/n repeats.

"You clearly need to chill out."

"Locking me in a stall isn't helping!"

"Do you want to tell me what's going on?"

"No. Yes. No."

Billy crosses his arms, and Y/n's posture slumps.

"Yes."

"Alright."

"I'm taking my little brother, Will, to a special doctor's appointment, and I always get nervous for him."

Billy nods. "That's understandable. It'll be okay, Y/n. He's your brother, which means that if he's anything like you, he's a fighter, and whatever is up with him won't stand a chance. He's strong, and he has you to back him up."

Y/n blushes and smiles. "Thank you, Billy. That's really sweet."

Suddenly, the door to the bathroom opens. Like lightening, Billy whirls Y/n off the toilet and he takes her place, pulling her onto his lap. His arms tighten around her waist as he taps her legs, silently telling her to lift them so that the person won't see her shoes.

They are both bright red.

She begins to audibly panic, so Billy covers her mouth. What a position! Y/n Byers, sitting on Billy Hargrove's lap in a bathroom stall.

The person leaves and Y/n flies off Billy's lap. She throws open the stall door and leans against the wall.

"You alright there, doll?" Billy asks, standing up adjusting his jeans.

Y/n scoffs. "I could ask you the same thing!"

Billy blushes, but before he can say anything, Steve walks into the bathroom. He looks up at Billy and frowns, but sees Y/n and his jaw drops.

"Oh, HECK NO. Y/n, please tell me I'm not walking in on what I think I'm walking in on."

Y/n grabs his shoulders. "You are not walking in on what you think you are walking in on."

"Maybe you were about to," Billy mutters.

Both Steve and Y/n's heads snap towards him, Steve angry and Y/n surprised. "What was that, Hargrove?"

"Nothing Harrington," he says with a grin.

They glare at each other for a while until the bell rings. Y/n looks between them and backs away. "I've got to get to Will's appointment, soooo. Um, bye?"

She quickly exits the bathroom with her head down, hoping not to draw the attention of anyone. She signs out and grabs her motorcycle. She glances back and sees both Billy and Steve standing in the doorway, side- by- side, watching Y/n leave. 

Y/n waves goodbye and speeds off towards Hawkins Middle.