𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT:THE FINAL BATTLE

THE FINAL BATTLE

THE VAMPIRES ALL STOOD in the snow, standing quietly as they waited for the Volturi to show up. The night previous, they had all made a campsite and shared stories of different kinds of wars. Now, they were all standing tensely and in silence as they waited for the devils themselves. Jasper stood there, his arm wrapped tightly around Luna's waist as both of hers were wrapped around his.

"The red coats are coming, the red coats are coming." Garret muttered as the sound of the Volturi coming closer could be heard. They all watch the Volturi and their witnesses walk closer towards them. Aro's eyes were searching the vampires, his eyes briefly falling on Luna's before he continued.

"Aro's looking for Alice." Edward stated. Luna's eyes widened slightly when she saw Irina walking with the Volturi. She glanced at the back of Kate and Tanya before looking back ahead of her. At the sound of a wolf's howl, the Volturi stopped and the wolves emerged. Luna watched as they all took their hoods off before Carlisle stepped forward to speak.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to, in a civilized manner." Carlisle requested.

"Fair words, Carlisle. But a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us." Aro responded.

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken." Carlisle quickly cleared up.

"We see the child, do not treat us as fools." Caius seethed.

Carlisle's voice raises as he says his next words. "She is not an immortal! These witnesses can attest to that. You can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!" Caius snapped.

Aro holds up a hand, silencing Caius. "I will collect every facet of the truth, but from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the child clings to your new-born mate, I assume you are involved."

Edward turns his head to glance at his child and wife as Aro takes a step forward, holding out a patient hand. Luna watches as Edward puts a hand on top of Renesmee's head before glancing at Bella again before leaving to walk towards the Volturi. Bella quickly moves Renesmee so that she's standing between herself and Jacob. Bella tries to use her shield on Edward, but when he gets too far it retracts.

When Edward reaches Aro, the latter takes Edward's hand into his own and looks through his memories. After what felt like forever, Edward's hand finally drops from Aro's. Aro looks at him before glancing at Renesmee and then back to Edward. "I would like to meet her."

Slowly, Edward turns to look at Bella. Bella moves forward with Renesmee, Jacob quickly following. She stops and turns her head to look at Emmett. Emmett leaves Rosalie's side and follows after the three as they continue to walk. Luna's posture stiffened when they reached Aro. Jasper quickly gave her side a reassuring squeeze, glancing at her before looking back to the scene in front of him.