31 - A Wintertide, An Étude

hi, if u haven't read the inarizaki and nekoma arcs, then i must say, this chapter contains spoiler. 🦊😺

Winter break.

But it feels like not winter break at all. I'm studying while working for my project. Good thing, before the winter break, I manage to get my acceleration exams done.

All I have to do is sigh. But this kind of stressful situation is not new to me. I just need not to have any 'negative' stress.

Aina and Ukiyo have returned to their home and I'm left alone.

I let out another sigh and do a stretch. I might take a rest from this. It's already two in the midnight and sleepiness has kicked in. As I go to my room, I willingly let myself fall on my bed—face flat on my pillow.

Even though I can still function well, do the task I'm given to . . . I know to myself that there's something wrong with me.

I feel like floating and my soul is split out of my body.

That kind of feeling.

I position myself, lying sideways, and pull the hedgehog plushie to my arms. This is the plushie that Kei gave me. I smile upon remembering the time I named her as 'Tsukki'.

I draw out a breath and hug the plushie tighter. Closing my eyes, I try not to think of anything and empty my mind.

". . . because I will always seek for you, look for you."

". . . I made a promise that I will always look after you."

"You're more fascinating than what's seen in the sky . . ."

Those words are now engraved on my mind. Forgetting them is impossible. And his words . . . They become the lullaby that guides me to a peaceful sleep.

When I wake up, the first thing I see is the morning sunlight filtering through my windows. I sit down and face the outside. The shadows cast from any living or non-living things are quite long, then it's still early. 7 AM, my guess. I look at my digital clock on my side table, 6:54 AM, it says. Well, almost.

I let out a yawn. Although I want to sleep more, my body clock disapproves. I watch the surroundings for quite more. In the calm of the morning star, I realize that beauty is real.

Smiling to myself, I start to do my morning stuff, before I succumb to any impending works I have.

Writing. Thinking. Computing. Analyzing.

Those are things I do the whole time, and before lunch, Mom came back!

I run to her and greet my mother a hug. In return, she kisses me on the forehead.

We have a few talks before heading to the dining area. She has bought meals, she says, so no bother cooking. Mom gives me my share, then takes her seat. And while eating, I feel Mom is stealing glances at me. At first, it's fine, but it becomes awkward eventually.

"Okay, mother," I start, putting my utensils down. "I know that you're secretly analyzing my whole being right now, and I can't eat well."

Mom peals a soft laugh, weaving with hums of amusement. "Forgive me, I'm just beguiled by your aura."

"My aura?" My forehead wrinkles. "What's with my aura?"

"Honey," her chuckles are light, "I don't know if you're aware of it, but your aura is glowing as if no one can touch you."