Chapter 20

- a few months later -

You and Luke had now been dating for almost a year. You were trying to think of ways to celebrate your one year anniversary. You didn't want to do anything cheesy.

You had the perfect idea. It was kind of cheesy but you really wanted to do it.

You were going to recreate your first date. Well technically your second date. All you did on your first date was get food. Your second date is when you went Jones Beach. You had the idea to get take out from the place you went and then go have a romantic picnic at the beach.

Well it would be nasty and cold if you brought it from the city but luckily, there was a place on Long Island that you could go to to get the food.

You stayed up all night trying to plan a perfect one year anniversary date but didn't realize it until the sun was coming up. It was officially your one year anniversary.

You open up your phone and text Luke.

Kaitlyn: 'Happy Anniversary baby.'

You didn't expect a reply back for a while since it was almost 6 am, but that was okay.

You went on your laptop and did one last thing. You booked a hotel room in Long Island. You didn't know what you would be doing that night but in case something were to happen, you didn't want to have to be quite so your roommates didn't hear you. The walls in your apartment were thin like paper. You could hear everything. You've heard Ashton and Sadie making love way too many times. Let's just say.. he loves to be called 'daddy'.

You shivered at the thought of that and bit your lip. Would Luke like to be called that? You shook your head and started packing.

After a while you finish packing for the night away and get ready. You brush your hair, teeth and other bathroom things and pack those things before getting dressed. You check your phone as it buzzes.

Luke: 'Happy one year anniversary ❤️'

Kaitlyn: 'I have everything planned out for today. Make sure you pack an overnight bag.'

Luke: 'Why?'

Kaitlyn: 'We're spending a night in a hotel.'

Luke: 'Okay.'

You smile and agree on a time to leave and you finish getting ready. You go and eat something quick and drink some coffee. You needed it after staying up all night.

Luke comes and picks you up soon and you two drive to Long Island. You get there after about 40 minutes and give him directions on how to get to the restaurant.

You go inside and order food for the both of you. You wait for about 15 minutes and then you get the food and go back out to the car. You get in and Luke starts to drive to the beach.

"You're really obsessed with this beach, huh?" He asks.

You nod. "Like I've said, a lot of great memories."

He smiles and you smile back. "I love you." He says.

"I love you more." You say.

He grabs your hand with his free hand and kisses it. "Not possible."

"But it is." You smile.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." He laughs.

You roll your eyes and smile. He gets to the beach soon and you get the mini cooler out of the trunk and the to go food while he grabs the blankets and everything else you need.

You walk the boardwalk until you two find the perfect place to sit. You lay out the blanket and then both sit down. You smile and grab a bottle of champagne and glasses out of the cooler. Luke smiles and takes the bottle from you.

"I'd like to propose a toast." You say after Luke pops the champagne bottle and pours you a glass. "It's been a long year. We've had some ups and downs but we made it this far. I'm really happy that we've stayed together this long. I love you so much and I don't think I'll ever stop loving you for as long as I live. I can't imagine what my life would be like without you in it."

He smiles and kisses you. "I agree with that statement."

You smile. "I'd hope so."

"Why wouldn't I?" He asks.

You shrug. "Why would you agree to it?"

"Because I love you with my whole heart." He smiles.

"Aww Penguin." You smile. "I love you with my whole heart too."

"You might want to say with your whole ass.. you're ass is probably bigger and hotter than your heart." He jokes.

"Way to kill the moment Hemmings." You laugh as you playfully shoved him.

You didn't mind when he made jokes like that to you because you knew he didn't mean anything bad by it and it was all fun and games. It didn't actually hurt your feelings.

You guys eat and watch the waves. There was no place more romantic then the beach in your opinion. You could spend every day of your life here and be happy. When you were little you always dreamed about living in a house on the beach. That changed as you grew up and realized that hurricanes destroy them more because they are by water, but now as an adult, you would love to live in one. As much as you don't want hurricanes to effect your house, you realize that a hurricane destroying your house is like a human destroying your life. You can't stop it or control it. The hurricane so far in your life has been Sierra. Here you are though, a few months later from that and you and Luke are as strong as ever. Nothing could destroy you and Luke. No people or hurricanes.

"Do you think we'll get married one day?" You ask when you both finish eating.

"I hope so." He says.

"Me too." You smile.

He nervously wipes his hands on his pants and takes something out of his pocket. You watch in confusion as he gets down on one knee.

"Don't worry." He says. "I'm not proposing. I know we haven't been together for a long time yet but we've made it a year and this year with you had taught me one thing. I never want to lose you. This is a promise ring. A promise that I will never hurt you or leave you and that one day, I will marry you. Do you accept the proposal?" He asks, showing you the ring.

You smile with tears in your eyes. "I do Luke. I do."

He smiles and kisses you.

"I love you." You tell him after you two pull away.

"I love you more." He smiles.

"Not possible." You say.

"Yes it is." He says.

"Prove it then." You tell him.

"Let's go check into the hotel." He says and smirks.

"Okay." You smile and bite your lip.

You both get up from the sand and pack up your things and walk hand in hand back to the car.

You weren't sure if any anniversaries in the future could top this one but you were sure excited to find out.