Chapter 29

"Is this okay to wear?" You ask Luke as you got ready to have dinner with him and his whole family.

You had put on a little black dress and to keep it from being too boring, it had pockets and a small bow around the waist. It wasn't clingy but it still showed off your body shape nicely. It was one of your favorite dresses you owned.

"Yes, you look beautiful." He smiles.

You blush and smile. "Thank you."

He chuckles. "Your tomato is showing."

"Shut up." You laugh.

"Make me." He smirks.

"Nah, I don't feel like it." You smirk back.

He sighs and finishes getting ready. You do the same and both grab your things and walk to the car.

You weren't as nervous to meet Luke's dad and brothers as you were to meet Liz. Moms are always the scariest, especially when it comes to their sons.

He drives to the restaurant and you get there soon and meet up with his family. He introduces you to them and you greet them. You notice Liz wasn't around yet and Luke did too.

"Where's mom?" He asks his father and brothers.

"Bathroom." They answer.

He nods and goes up to the host stand and tells them about the reservation he had made earlier. As he does this you notice Liz joining the group and she immediately pulls Luke into a hug when he finishes. "Hello baby."

"Hi mom." He says and hugs her back.

She pulls away and her eyes land on you as Luke's dad starts to have a conversation with him.

"Oh Kaitlyn, hi. I didn't know you would be joining us tonight." Liz says.

"Yeah, I hope you don't mind but I asked Luke if I could tag along." You tell her. "I didn't want to be alone tonight."

"Why not?" She asks.

"I don't like being away from Luke." You smile.

"Luke doesn't like clingy girls." She says. "That's one of the many reasons his past relationships have failed."

Liz walks away and you frown. What was that supposed to mean? Did you do something wrong? Maybe she was upset because she thought it was just going to be her, her husband and her kids? You would understand that, especially because they are never together as a family, as Luke had previously told you.

You suddenly felt bad for tagging along. You didn't mean to ruin their night, you would have just missed Luke too much. Yes he would have only been gone for maybe an hour and a half, two hours at most, but you hated when he left you. You couldn't even imagine him going on tour. You two had gotten much closer and the thought of him leaving kept getting harder and harder.

You all walk over to an empty table that's set up all fancy and you sit down. You all look at the menu in silence and you feel Luke grab onto your closest hand. You smile and relax a little bit. Maybe his mom didn't want you there, but it seemed like he wanted you there and that's all that mattered.

Once the server comes over and takes the food and drink orders, they start to talk again.

"So, I heard you work in a café," Luke's dad starts off. "Do you bake the pastries yourself?"

"No, the owner or her husband do every morning." You tell him. "I just sell them."

He nods with a smile on his face. "Do you guys get good business?"

"Dad, not every-" Luke starts, interrupting his dad, to try and get him off the business topic, but his dad ignores him and keeps staring at you and you cut Luke off and answer.

"Yes, mostly on weekends." You answer.

He nods and Luke changes the topic.

"So how do you guys like New York City?" He asks his family.

"It's cool." They say. "But we will always love Australia the most."

"Same." Luke nods.

Luke could sense the tension that his mother was creating and he felt bad, but he didn't know what he could do to change it. He didn't want to start a fight with his mom or anyone in his family.

"So Luke, when are you leaving for tour?" Liz asks him.

He clears his throat. "Uhm," he pauses. He hasn't told anyone when he was leaving. Sadly, it was sooner than he expected. "August 3rd."

"August 3rd?" You yell in shock. "That's next month."

You ignored all of the strange looks from everyone around you. You were mad and hurt that Luke didn't tell you sooner.

He sighs and you stand up. "Excuse me." You say before running to the door of the restaurant.

He gets up and follows you and walks outside after you and grabs your arm as you pace back and forth on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant.

"Don't touch me." You say ripping your arm out of his grip.

"Kaitlyn, I-" He starts to say but you cut him off.

"How long have you known?" You ask.

"Not very long.." he answers.

"Luke." You say.

He sighs. "A month. They started selling tickets a month ago and we sold out right away."

"You've known for a fucking month and you haven't told me?" You ask through your teeth. "I can't believe you."

"I'm sorry, please hear me out." He begs.

"Fine. What do you have to say?" You demand to know.

He looks around at the people who have stopped and have been staring at you. "Can we talk about this after dinner, when we get home later?"

"No. We can talk about it now." You say.

"My family is waiting for us to get back in there." He says.

"I don't care. You're mom hates me anyway." You say. "Just take me home."

"But I can't just leave-" He starts to say before you cut him off again.

"Oh trust me, after tonight we've learned that you can just leave." You snap at him.

He bites his lip and runs his hand through his hair. "I'm sorry okay? I didn't think you would be this upset. I didn't think it was that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal? You're leaving on tour for god knows how long, you could have told me sooner." You yell at him.

"7 months.. I'll be gone for 7 months." He says quietly.

"I can't believe you." You say as tears start building up in your eyes.

"I wanted to tell you sooner but-" He starts.

"But what? But you just forgot that big announcement." You ask.

"No, I didn't know how to tell you." He says. "I guess deep down inside I knew you would react like this."

"Are you saying this is my fault?" You ask.

"No, I'm just tired of you yelling at me for something I can't control. This is my career." He says.

"I'm not mad at the tour, I know you can't control that. You could have told me as soon as you found out though. You had control over when to tell me." You sob.

"I'll tell you right away next time, I promise." He says.

"I'm not quite sure there will be a next time while you're dating me Luke." You say, before taking your phone out and calling a cab to take you back to your old apartment with Brittany, Rachel and Sadie.

"Are you breaking up with me?" Luke asks, processing what you said, after you hang up.

"Yes Luke, yes I am." You tell him.