8. Disaster in Bahrain

Valeria and Pietro were sitting by the pool of their hotel , enjoying the Sakhir sun. 'this would be a thousand times better if I could have alcohol in it' Valeria joked, stretching her legs on the lounger and sipping her mocktail.

'I think you have a problem' Pietro joked, as he felt his phone buzz. His husband was video calling him.

'Hello!' he picked up. 'how are you? Valeria is forcing me to be in the sun and I'm melting' he told him.

'Hey! All good, just got home from work. I envy you. Where's Vale?'

'Hello, my favourite half of the couple' she interjected. 'he's complaining about the sun, can you believe it?'

'you know how he is... he doesn't understand southerners like us' Stefano joked.

'I know, right?' she laughed, getting a killing side eye from Pietro. 'I'll let you guys catch up. I'll see you soon, Stef. I'll come for dinner'

'anytime' he replied.

Valeria laid down on the lounger again, putting her headphones on. She turned her ebook on and continued reading her book. She felt her phone buzz, there was a text on one of the work group chats. 'Domenico and I are going for dinner here, who wants to join?' Giorgio had messaged.

'I'll be there, got nothing better to do' she typed. Seb was already in Bahrain, but she knew he had plans with Mattia and Charles for dinner.

'I'll be there too' Pietro had replied. 'what time? I need to see someone who's not Vale'

'Meet there in 20?'

'will do'

Valeria had changed into a pair of jeans and her university hoodie and had joined Pietro in the lobby.

'You always look so out of place in these fancy hotels' he teased her. 'are those Disney vans?' he laughed.

'Yes, of course. What does Dan's helmet say? Stop being them?' She joked, as they walked the short distance to the restaurant the guys had picked. They noticed a small loud group in the corner and walked towards them.

'always the loud ones' Valeria told Domenico, as she sat next to him. 'we could hear you from outside'

'It made it easier to find us, though, didn't it?' he laughed, kissing her cheek.

They ordered a mix of sharing platters and started catching up on the upcoming race.

Valeria was midway through stuffing her face with another hummus covered piece of bread when she heard Mattia's voice. 'Hello, guys, enjoying Bahrain, i see?' he told the group. 'don't stay up too late, yeah?' she looked up to him, trying to hide the massive bite she had in her mouth. Her eyes were met by the amused faces of Seb and Charles, as she tried to swallow the bite. 'Valeria, Pietro, I'm sure you're behaving too' the girl nodded along, trying not to choke.

'classy' Pietro told her with a laugh, once the three men had left.

'how could I know he was gonna show up out of the blue? It's good hummus though'

'You're even cuter than normal when you're choking on hummus' Seb messaged her.

Saturday qualifying had finally boosted everyone's morale in the garage. With Charles taking his first f1 pole and Seb just behind him, everyone from the prancing horse team was smiling from ear to ear.

'I'll happily take Rosberg today' Valeria said, as she saw him approaching. 'hey Nico' she told him with a smile.

'newbie' he smiled.