45. Christmas holidays

'Welcome to Rome Fiumicino. The ground temperature is 3 degrees Celsius and the local time is 10.30 pm. If you're here for the holidays, merry Christmas from all of us on board'

Valeria collected her stuff and walked out of the plane. She had just got back to Italy from the UK, ready for her and Seb to spend Christmas in Rome before going to Germany for Valeria's birthday and new year's. Seb was going to join her at her parent's place and had been travelling from Maranello by train as their flight to Frankfurt was booked from the capital. Valeria's dad had picked him up from the station and was now on the way to pick her up from the airport.

Just landed. I'm just waiting at the border but won't be long. She messaged Seb.

As soon as she collected her luggage her phone started buzzing.

'alright?' she picked up the call from her mum.

'yes, my love. Change of plans. Seb is on his way to Fiumicino with Dad's car, dad and I are going to hospital. Noemi is in labour'

'damn, oh my god! How long ago did Seb leave? I'll be there ASAP!' she replied excitedly.

'He should be there soon, hopefully he didn't get lost.'

Valeria rung Seb's number straight away 'hello Schatzi, guess your mum called you. I'm at the airport now'

'wonderful, coming out now'

Valeria quickly walked out of the airport to the car park.she spotted her dad's Mercedes and Seb in his usual incognito outfit.

'Hello, Bärchen' she kissed him.

'hello, my love. Ready to become an aunt?'

'Nope. What if I cock up? This kid is going to look up to me for advice one day. ME?! FOR ADVICE?!' she laughed, as he gave her the keys. 'don't wanna drive?'

'Never again. People almost crashed into me so many times. And then shouted at me like it was my fault they didn't give me way?!'

'Oh, babe. You get used to it' she chuckled. 'you Germans and your rule following don't agree with the free spirit of us Romans'

'free spirit or murder spree?' Seb huffed, sitting on the passenger seat.

'Mortacci tua, te voi levà de mezzo?' (damn you, will you move out of the way?) Valeria shouted at someone who had slowed down in the middle of the road.

'I seriously don't know if I'm scared or more in love with you after seeing you in your natural element' Seb joked, once they parked at the hospital.

It was just past midnight on Christmas eve, it felt weird going into the hospital at that time. A smiley nurse pointed them towards the maternity ward, looking at Seb curiously, probably wondering why she had seen his face before.

'Mum, we're here' Valeria said. 'how's it going?'

'she's in the delivery room' Kate said, hugging her. 'any time soon. Simone is in there. How are gramps and narnie?'

'yeah they're good. It was lovely seeing them, gramps loved every second of it. I'll show you pictures later'

A couple of hours later, Valeria and Seb were napping on a hospital sofa. Valeria's head resting on his chest, his hand tangled in her hair, as he had fallen asleep caressing it.

'Guys' Simone's voice startled both of them. 'I'd like to introduce you to Guglielmo' he said, holding his newborn im his arms.

'oh my god' Valeria jumped up. 'hello little one' she whispered. 'oh my god he already looks so much like you' she told Simone. She could feel tears in her eyes. 'do you want to hold him?'