54. The Wedding

Organising a wedding in less than a week had proved to be the most stressful task Valeria had ever tried to complete.

She had travelled to Rome for it and she and her mum and sister had worked hard to get her even remotely close to ready. Her mood had been all over the place, but she never felt like she had cold feet. She was 100% sure she wanted to marry Sebastian and she couldn't wait to call him her husband. The dress search had been less stressing than she had expected; once she has tried it on her whole family had become a soppy mess. The dress she had chosen was extremely simple, with a tight bust and a flowing gown, no embellishment or anything but it made her feel like a princess. She had looked at her reflection in the mirror, wearing her veil and it had finally hit her. It was happening: she was getting married. Noemi was going to be her witness, whilst Seb had chosen Kimi as his. Seb had worked on the logistics for all the guests, they had only invited family and very close friends. Valeria made sure Philippe and Christine were on the list and so were Charles, Arthur, Lorenzo and Pascale. Daniel was on the list too, but he has travelled back to Australia after winter testing and he had not been able to get a flight ('who gets married with less than a weeks notice?'he had moaned on the phone to Valeria).

The day had come, Valeria woke up in her old childhood bedroom, the nerves making her feel like her stomach was in her throat. She got up and looked around. The pictures of her years karting were scattered on the wall. Jules' smiley face looked right back at her and she sighed.

'I would have loved to have you here for this, Jules' she thought, lightly touching the fading polaroid.

'you're up! Come on, the hair and make-up stylist is almost here! I made you breakfast' her mum's voice made her jump.

She walked out of the room, her eyes lingering for a moment on the news article about Kimi's Championship. The man on that newspaper article was going to be her husband's best man. How weird life had become in less than a year.

Once Valeria was ready, she walked out to the living room where her parents, sister and nonna were.

'You look stunning, Val' Noemi hugged her, trying to contain a tear.

'I can't believe my baby is getting married' her dad added. Valeria had seldom seen him cry and it always hit her harder than she expected when he did.

'Dad I'm 30 at the end of the year' Valeria laughed, trying to cheer him up. 'come on, I know it's fashionable for the bride to be late, but it's a German I'm marrying. I don't think they approve lateness' she tried to joke, making her family laugh.

Valeria walked out of her parents' flat, holding on to her dad's arm. They got into the car they had rented and the driver started the journey to central Rome.

Once they had got to the Terme, she was ushered in by a member of staff.

'Mr Vettel is already inside.' He said.

'I guessed, that man is never late' she joked.

'Valeria, please. It's your wedding day. Stop the jokes' her dad told her with a sigh.

'but this is how I keep sane. Ok, deep breath.' She told herself. The nerves had hit her once more, once the doors in front of her opened and the music started, there was no turning back.

'3, 2...' the staff member said.

Valeria watched as the doors opened and she was met by tens of faces looking directly at her. She was frozen for a second, until her eyes met the ones of her fiancée. He looked so handsome in his dark suit, he had got his hair cut and had kept the light stubble she liked so much. He was trying hard to contain his tears, as she slowly started walking down the aisle. Valeria couldn't contain her smile, Seb had been in charge of the whole set up and the venue looked beautiful. He had chosen the perfect flowers, the perfect colour scheme. He and Kimi had suits that matched Noemi's dress.