55. Australian surprises

Valeria had decided to stay in Rome , after the wedding, as Seb had quite a lot to do in anticipation for Australia. She and her family were sitting in their flat living room in Rome, in silence, listening to the war bulletin the Italian news was presenting them about the global pandemic.

'Will you be able to go back to Maranello?' Her dad asked her, as he listened along to the Prime minister ordering the ban of travel from certain areas of the North of the peninsula.

'Yeah, I'll be fine if nan's result are negative. If they're positive I'll just stay here with you guys and hope for the best for Seb to be able to come home' she nodded. Seb had to travel to Australia as, for some reason, even with the case numbers going up all over the world, Formula1 still hadn't cancelled the race or the rest of the season.

'oh! Unknown number calling. These might be the results... hello?' he picked up. 'yes, that is me. Wonderful, that is great news, thank you very much!' he hung up. 'all clear' he told them. 'Vale, I'd suggest you get back to Maranello as soon as possible if you want to spend the lockdown with Seb and not us'

'sure, I'll pack my stuff and go tonight to avoid traffic. Hope Seb is keeping safe too.' She nodded. 'I wonder if I'll stop feeling sick too, it must have been the stress about nan' she continued. She had felt waves of nausea coming and going, but she had brushed it off as her stomach always turned upside down when she was stressed about anything. And she had many reasons to stress, from her grandma feeling sick during a global pandemic that seemed to attack elderly people more to Seb still having to travel halfway around the world because of F1.

'are you sure you can drive back?' her mum asked her, worried.

'Yeah, I'll be good, mum, thanks. I'm just going to call Memi to let her know we are good' she said, videocalling her sister.

'Meeeemi, where's my little dude?' Valeria asked, as soon as her sister picked up.

'Jesus, you have a baby and people stop caring about you, don't they?' she huffed. 'Here he is' she showed her Guglielmo who was on the floor on his cushion playing with his stuffed toys that were dangling on top of him.

'hello baby!' Valeria cooed. 'Oh my God, I just want to squeeze him. Memi, we are all clear, by the way. I am travelling back tonight.'

'oh good news!' she smiled. 'how are you feeling?'

'still a bit shit, but I think it was the stress. My mood has been all over the place. I'll be OK soon. How are you, by the way?' she asked, after she realised she had concentrated on her nephew more than her sister.

'I'm good. It's weird, as a doctor, to not be out there to help; but I love being home with Gu and knowing we're both safe. Simone is working from home too, which helps. I hope Seb is keeping safe too. I know he's travelling to Melbourne still.'

'yeah, he wasn't ecstatic, I have to say. If I recall correctly he said it was utter bullshit' she laughed.

'you're making him a lot more British than he used to be' Noemi laughed. 'well, I hope he comes back to you soon. You have a safe trip, and take an antiemetic before you travel tonight if you still feel sick'

'yes, doctor' she told her with a smile. 'Love you lots, I'd come hug you and squeeze you all but it's best not to. Hopefully, see you soon!'

'love you, Vals. Say bye, Gu' she added, as the baby gave a little chuckle.

'I could listen to that chuckle all day. I need it as a ringtone. Bye, Memi' she hung up.

Not long later her phone buzzed, it was a message from Noemi.