47. Bonding with the in-laws pt.2

Valeria was awaken by a ray of sun seeping through Seb's bedroom's curtains. The day seemed to be sunny, but the temperature, even in the house, was too cold to be giving her energy to do anything. They had come back from Seb's parents' late at night and were invited to go to Stefanie's that day. Stef and her family lived further out from Eppenheim, in a location that Seb had described as idyllic to Valeria the night before. That, she thought, could only mean they lived in the middle of nowhere, probably by the side of a mountain and, possibly, further away from civilisation than Valeria had ever been.

The Italian was distracted from her thoughts by Seb, who had stretched his arm around her to pull her in for a cuddle. He mumbled something in German to her, before falling asleep again. Valeria couldn't contain a smile, as she rested her head on his chest, listening to his slow heartbeat; she closed her eyes and let the slow sound nurse her back to sleep.

'Schatzi, you really need to get up, now' Seb told her, a few hours later. 'it's a bit of a drive down to Stef's and I told her we'd be there at 12' he gently shook Valeria. 'here' he added.

Valeria was finally convinced to get up by the smell of the coffee Seb was giving her. She reluctantly got out of bed and looked around the floor for her hoodie.

'man it's freezing here. I don't think I like winter in Germany' she huffed, leaving her hood on her head and pulling down her sleeve on her free hand.

'you don't like winter in general, and you're always cold' Seb reminded her, kissing the top of her nose. 'but you're cute, so I put up with the house being always a thousand degrees'

'hey, I pay half the bills, so I should be allowed to put the heating up as much as I like' she reminded him, with a pout. 'and before you say anything... yes. I am going to finish this and get ready'

'I didn't even open my mouth'

'you didn't have to' Valeria finished her coffee off. 'I'll go take a quick shower, I'll be ready in 20'

'good. I'll go get the other stuff ready.' He agreed. He couldn't wait to spend some quality time with his family, especially his nephews, and he knew they couldn't wait to spend more time with Valeria, especially Martha who seemed to have developed a certain attachment to the Italian.

Not long later, the pair was sitting in Sebastian's car. Valeria turned on the heating full blast, moaning about the amount of snow they had just found out had fallen through the night. Valeria wasn't keen on it, having lived most of her life in absence of snow, she hated the way it felt when she walked on it, even worse the way it felt when you had to drive over it.

'Stef said the road to hers is clear, but we are more than welcome to stay the night, should it get worse' Seb told her, as he slowly drove away from his drive.

'I don't like snow. I mean I do, it's pretty to look at and it's great for snowball fights, but it makes me feel uneasy'

'is it because you keep tumbling down on ice?' Seb teased her. 'isn't that what you did up in the dolomites with your sister?'

'Did Noemi tell you the story?' Valeria asked, annoyed.

'yep' Seb laughed. 'She only did because I noticed the scar on her arm. She said that it happened when you tumbled down an icy slope and tried to take her down with you, causing her arm to hit some rocks.'

'In my defence' Valeria started 'I didn't mean to take her down with me, I just looked for support so I didn't fall down' she stated. 'I am a sea person, I don't understand mountains' she huffed, pouting.