Chapter 3

SAM'S P.O.V.

     As soon as I said his name, his eyes flash gold for a split second. If I didn't already know what he was, then I probably would have missed it. It happened so fast that my head started spinning. At least, I hope that's why the world is starting to blur and spin around me. I put my hands on my knees as I bend over to catch my breath. 'I knew I should have held on tighter to my popcorn at the theater. At least I'd have food to eat right now' I thought to myself. I haven't eaten since early this morning.

     My sister whispers, "I'll go grab us some food before you pass out. Don't move from this spot!"

     Oh hell no! This bony chick has lost her damn mind! She isn't going anywhere without me! I am NOT looking all over hell and back for her again! I grab on to her pants as she stands up. "Courtney, wait! Help me up, and we'll go together! We can't get separated again." She nods and puts my arm over her shoulder to hoist me up. I feel a strong hand grab my other arm to steady me, and instinctively lean against Paul. I'm not feeling the best, so I allow myself to be guided to a nearby bench and sat down gingerly. Damn me being hypoglycemic!

     "Don't feel bad, Baby. I tend to have that affect on women." He winks at me before asking, "How are you feeling?"

      Despite his joking demeanor, I could clearly read the concern in his eyes. Why would he care about me? We talked once, and it was only for a minute. I wish I knew more about these guys' abilities. Do they have heightened senses? Do they feel emotions like humans do? I should have paid closer attention to the finer details in the movie, rather than watching Paul's every move!

     "I just need to eat, and maybe throw back some sugar, and I'll be fine. And thank you for helping me. You didn't have to do that." I said with a smile. His eyes took on slightly mischievous glint.

     "I sent Marko and your sister for food. As for the sugar, I've got plenty of that!"

     I laughed lightly. This dude is too much! Um, did he just say he sent Marko AND my sister to get food? God I hope she doesn't slip up talking to him. He's totally the type to get females to trust him with one look. One long look at his angelic baby face and beautiful curly locks, and my sister might spill our secrets at his feet. No! I can't think that way. We'll be fine! I have faith in my older sister to get the food and come right back. She wouldn't let me down. I'm sending her 'get your ass back here safely' thoughts with a little 'bring me funnel cake' vibes.

      I subtly shift my gaze to where Paul is standing beside me. I let my eyes drift over his well worn black boots, dirty white pants with the occasional hole in them, black netting shirt, black jacket and silver earring dangling from his left ear. His hair is absolutely insane, sticking out in every direction like he hung his head out the window of a car going 90mph. Hot. Damn. I need to stop looking before I start drooling. I'd die if he saw me ogling him like a tween at a boy band concert.

     "So Sam, do you stare at everyone like that or am I just lucky?" My face is burning and probably bright red right now. Busted. His facial expression just screams victory. I half expected him to do a little victory dance. I'd pay to see that. 'Geez girl! Cool your jets!' I thought to myself. I think I'm delirious from lack of nutrition. Just as I swear I'm about to pass out, Courtney jogs up to us holding a basket of chicken tenders and fries in one hand, a giant turkey leg and corn dog in the other. Marko comes gliding up behind her holding 2 drinks and a red Icee. And Dwayne is behind him holding 2 funnel cakes!

     "Take your pick! Turkey, chicken or corn dog? Mountain Dew, Coke or red Icee? Dwayne remembered the funnel cake!" I'm smiling widely by the time she's done listing the menu they've brought back with them. She shoves the turkey leg in my face while she takes a monster bite of the corn dog. My eyes roll back as I bite into the food. 'Oh sweet lord! Thank you to the food gods for this masterpiece!' I'm probably being dramatic, but I'm starving! Dwayne passes me a plate of funnel cake, and I dig right in. I'm aware of the amused stares of the boys, but who cares? Food. Is. Life.

     I hear Courtney choke on her food mid chew, which causes me to swing my head in her direction. Her face is deathly pale. She looks like she's seeing a ghost over my right shoulder. Absolutely terrified. My arms are covered in goosebumps as I slowly turn around, hoping to see an actual ghost instead of who I already know it is. I see David has finally shown up. But beyond him is... I swallow my breath as I discreetly grab my sister's hand and squeeze.

     "Are my sons bothering you ladies?"

     Max.