Chapter 4

PAUL'S P.O.V.

      Oh fucking joy! There he stands in all of his nerdy ass glory. Our sire that likes to call himself our "adopted dad". I shudder looking at his cheap suit. I know I don't dress the best, but I'd rather shave my head than to raid Max's closet. And he's shady as all hell. We don't trust him at all, but we can't go against the one whose blood changed us into vampires. Talk about feeling trapped! I've made it my mission to have as much fun as possible and be happy doing it, regardless of what Max thinks. No matter what.

      Max's eyes drift over to where Sam and her sister are sitting on the bench. I can see the wheels turning in his mind. 'Oh shit no! No can do, Maxi Pad! These girls aren't interested in your sick games to create a 'happy family'. I don't know why they're here, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be interested in what he's selling.

     David has been with him for the past few hours. I'm sure we'll learn soon enough what was so damn important. I internally roll my eyes when I see David eyeing the tiny redhead with very subtle hint of interest. Oh please! That would be hilarious! The firecracker and the ice man. Good luck, dude!

     I notice the girls are totally silent. Barely breathing. I hope they're not hyperventilating or some shit like that. Maybe I should let Sam know that I know CPR? Ya know, in case she needs me? I'm a stand up guy like that. I snort at my own thoughts. She looks my way and her posture seems to relax a little. Apparently I've made a good impression on her. Or at least not a bad one. I can work with that.

     I look back at the others, and they're all staring at the two of us. David's eyebrows are raised, and Marko is smirking behind his hand. Dwayne just looks curious. Max is flat out glaring at me. Not surprising, considering that's his permanent look when it concerns me. I'm what he likes to call his "problem child". What's a problem child to do when he's the center of attention? Dance, of course!

     I offer Sam my hand when I hear "Hello Again" by Neil Diamond start playing on a nearby radio. "Would you care to dance, my lady?" I ask loudly. She accepts, slipping her hand into mine and quickly standing up. I pull her towards me and step back several feet from the others. Wrapping my left arm around her waist, I place her right hand on my chest and start to sway.

     I can feel a push at the back of my mind, letting me know that one of my brothers or Max are trying to mind link me. I can't do that when she's this close to me! She'll know something is up with me when she sees my eyes cloud over like a zombie! I'm not sure why, but I don't want her to know what I am yet. Or maybe ever at all. She'd for sure freak out on me just when I'm starting to get close to her, and I'm not letting anyone ruin my fun. And that includes letting them get too comfy with MY new friend here.

     By the time the song ends, she's leaning on me half asleep. Her sister is laying across the bench with her hair slung over Marko's lap. David is shooting a glare in their direction, and Dwayne and Max are nowhere to be found. "Hey, Sam. Where are you guys staying tonight?" I ask her as she slowly lifts her head off of my chest.

     "We aren't sure yet. I guess a hotel here in town?" She looks panicked, like she hasn't thought of their sleeping arrangements before now.

     "Well, you guys are welcome to crash at our place for the night. We don't mind, do we guys?" I turn to David and Marko. They both just shrug. They could care less, I guess.

     "I guess so, if it's alright with Courtney." She looks over to get her sister's approval, but that girl is passed out harder than me after I've had too much of Dwayne's "fire water". That's what he said his tribe called alcohol before he became a vampire, which was eons ago.

     I grab Sam's bag and tie it to the back of my bike. Marko does the same with Courtney's bag, but David snatches the girl up before Marko can get back to the bench. He places her facing him on the front of his bike, clutching her to his chest and takes off behind Marko's bike. I jump my bike off and hold out my hand. Sam grabs it tightly and swings herself up behind me. "Ever ridden a bike before, Sam?" I ask her. She smirks at me and nods her head. "Hold on tight, Baby Doll! We're about put some miles behind us in no time!" I shout gleefully as I take off at break neck speed. She wraps her arms tighter around my waist and let's out a loud giggle. I grin and laugh out loud. This is my kind of girl, and I can't wait to get to know her even better!