Chapter 10

PAUL'S P.O.V.

         I knew Dwyane was up to something the second he had the girls follow him down the hall. The dude doesn't say much, but every now and then he'll get a wild hair up his ass and act up. We each gained unique abilities when we were turned, and one of Dwayne's is hallucination. He can make humans see and hear anything he wants them to. And judging by my girl's scream, he did a pretty good job of it.

       I open the mind link between the 4 of us.

        Me: Really, Dwayne? Those chicks are going to end up hurting themselves trying to get away from shit that isn't even there. Especially the little one since she can't seem to walk without tripping anyhow.

        David: They'll be fine.

        Marko: Like you've never scared people for fun before, Paul? Remember the girl that swore she saw Peewee Herman in a bikini on the beach making out with a mer-man? I do believe that was your handiwork!

        Dwayne: He's just pissy because I'm screwing around with his new girlfriend. If it were anyone else, he wouldn't care.

        David: I think you're right, Dwayne. Our wild child is acting different around this one. There's something off about them though, so don't get too attached, Pauly.

        Dwayne: Grab them some towels and get your asses back here. This shit is funny as hell.

        Marko: Roger that!

       David: Be right there.

       Me: Screw all of you! I DO NOT act differently around her!

       Or do I? I know I feel differently about Sam. But in what way? I have no experience to go off of as far as feelings are concerned. The thought makes me sweat with nerves. I'm not the type to settle for one gal. I'm a love 'em and leave 'em type. But if I'm being honest here, I haven't thought about another female since I ran her over on the carousel. Almost two full nights! That's a long ass time in my opinion! I decide not to go back to where they're at right away. I don't think I can act normal around her at the moment. The way she looks at me makes me think she knows more about me then she's letting on. But that's impossible, right? We'd never met before the other night! And no one alive knows what we are unless they too are vampires. If someone sees our vamp faces, they don't live to see another day. It's the only way to protect ourselves from being hunted.

       Of course, there's always people like those little shit for brains comic book losers. They know how to keep us away, but not for much longer. We have plans for those 2 bozos.

       I look up to see the others coming back out here, minus the girls. They must finally feel safe enough to wash off without being murdered by unseen forces. Maybe I'll offer to share a spare bed with Sam. Ya know, to protect her from monsters. I smirk at my idea. She'd never leave Courtney to fend for herself. If only they knew they've been with monsters ever since they arrived in Santa Carla. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder where they're from? They never told us, and I didn't see anything in their wallets with an address on it. Then again, nothing in their bags made any damn sense anyway. But I try not to dwell on things I don't understand. My brain hurts when I think too much.

       I hear footsteps hurrying down the hall and can faintly smell some sort of floral soap. Or maybe it's fruity? Hell if I know! All I know is they were right. They really did stink before they went back there.

       "Feeling better, Babe?" I ask Sam as she comes around the corner holding the outfit she wore earlier. Her hair is still dripping water, and I can see her skin glistening in the light of the fire I lit in the barrel. 'She's so pretty' I think to myself. I can see her eyes soften as she looks at me with her head tilted to the side.

       "Yep. Feel like a million bucks! You should let me wash your hair tomorrow night!" She said with a bright smile.

       "Excuse me? My hair is fine, thank you! No need to mess with perfection!" I smile at her as her eyes take on a determined gleam.

       "Please, Paul! I'll wash it for you, and then you can do lord knows what with it after it's clean! Pretty sure shampoo won't ruin it. If anything, it'll make it better! Please, Babe?" She begs me.

       "Aw, chill out girl!" I say with a wink. "If you wanted to touch my hair, all you had to do was ask!"

       "Chow time! Come and get it, ladies and gents!" Marko calls out as he walks in with a box of Chinese food in his arms. I didn't even notice him leave earlier. I don't notice most things when I'm with her. Only her.

       "I'm starving! Let's eat!" Sam calls out as she moves to sit on the fountain. I guess now's a good time to ask her more about her and her sister.

       "So, girls! Where are you two from? I can tell by your accents that it's definitely not here. And how did you get here since you don't seem to have a car?"

       "The East coast. And...we took a bus?" Sam hesitantly replies. David opens the mind link again.

       David: We need more info about them. Get her to tell you more. She likes you Paul, so use that to your advantage. We need to know if they're really as innocent as they seem.

       Me: Dude no! I like her and I won't use her in any way!

        Dwayne: Don't be dramatic, man. We're just trying to figure them out. It's not like we make a lot of friends around here. This is new to all of us.

       Marko: Uh, guys? The little ginger snap noticed the change in our eyes from mind linking! She looks like she's going to have a girl meltdown any second now!!

       David: Act natural! She's smarter than she seems. They both are.

        We block the link one by one, our eyes quickly going from cloudy to clear in seconds. But the damage is already done. Both of them are staring at each of us with... intrigue? What? They don't look freaked out or anything! Interesting. Sam narrows her eyes at me as she tips her drink back.

        "You guys alright? You were in your own world for a few minutes, and Marko looked panicked towards the end there." Sam whispers in a concerned voice.

        "It must be the noodles."

        It must be the noodles?! Really, you dumb shit?! I can be a bit dense at times. Maybe she won't notice.

        "That's not it! We know y'all are hiding something from us. And we want to know what it is..."