Chapter 18

SAM'S P.O.V.

         We walked slowly, trudging through the sand with aching backs and broken hearts. I just can't wrap my head around whatever the hell happened back there! I'm trying hard to remember if I heard anything after coming up out of the water but can recall nothing. No yelling, no fighting, no screaming of our names. Just the ringing in my head from the loud noises we heard. I ask Courtney if she remembers hearing anything after we dropped.

          "I want to swear that I heard a woman's laughter, but I'm not positive. Those loud noises seem to come from all around us. My head hurts so bad now." She replied with a grimace.

          "Mine does too. I don't remember hearing anything after we fell." I spot some rocks on the upper banks of the beach. "Let's rest here for a few minutes." I tell her as I sit down with a loud groan. Absolutely everything hurts. My voice is barely above a whisper, and my eyes keep tearing up. I know I look like an extra from "The Walking Dead".

          "We should probably move further up this way so we aren't spotted by anyone. Dwayne said to be careful of Surfer Nazis, especially on the beach." Courtney whispers in a low tone of voice. Normally I'd tell her to speak up, but I know her throat hurts just as much as mine does.

          I stand up, hold my hand out to her and start walking again. We need to reach the Boardwalk as soon as possible. I'm hoping we can find someone decent to give us some water at least. You would think I wouldn't want anything to do with water after what happened, but I can feel dehydration setting in.

          "Dude, I know I saw them walk this way! It was 2 chicks. A short little redhead and a taller blonde one. They were alone. I just want to talk to them. Honest." We stop abruptly when we hear a man's voice obviously talking about us.

          Courtney's eyes go wide with fear as she shoots her eyes in my direction. Normally, my sister wouldn't have hesitated to confront them, but she knows we aren't in any shape to take on full grown men that are more than likely drunk right now.

          I put my finger to my lips in a shushing motion and point to the nearest group of rocks. We silently tiptoe over the sand and gently climb over the rocks. They're just tall enough to conceal us from the view of anyone on the beach. Thank God this beach is so popular, and there are a hundreds of other sets of footprints around us. That easily disguises our trail of footprints to the rocks.

         "Just let them go. We'll keep an eye out for them through out the day. We can send the other guys out to look for them tonight. We don't get paid unless we find them." I've heard 2 different voices so far. Judging by what I heard, someone sent them after us. But who? And why?

          "Are you girls alright? Do you need some water or something?"

         I jumped a mile into the air when I heard a super soft feminine voice come from behind us. We slowly turn around and shield our eyes from the sun. It's hard to make out the lady's face, but I'd know that voice anywhere!

         "I'm Lucy Emerson! You two look beat. I brought extra waters and some snacks for my son and his friends, but they've already run off somewhere. You girls can have some if you want." She offers in a very motherly tone of voice.

         I really want to ask for her help getting to the Boardwalk, but I feel like we can't trust anyone right now. I take the food and water bottles from her hands, but not before discreetly checking them to make sure they haven't been opened. We can't be too careful.  I offer her a small smile.