Chapter 12

SAM'S P.O.V.

        I could feel his hand move from my left shoulder to my throat. The look in his blue eyes screamed murder.

        "You're lying, little girl. Either you tell the truth and die quickly or you lie and die slowly and painfully. Seeing as how I'm a gentleman, I'll let it be your choice." Max snarls in my face.

        "I may not need you to kill me. Your breath would send anyone straight to the pearly gates, you psychotic bastard!" I whisper at him, tears filling my eyes. Silence drags on until I'm sure he's going to kill me. Wait...am I hearing what I think I'm hearing?

       "I told you not to come in here anymore." Max's voice echoed in the background.

       "Wild kids."

      "Oh they're just young. We were they age too once! But they dress better! Bye bye!" And there's Lucy Emerson's voice!

        My sister is playing 'The Lost Boys' on my iPad! She's holding it up in the air. The screen is showing Max's nasty face smiling at Lucy.

          This gets Max's attention, and he drops me to the ground. He flies over to Courtney and snatches the iPad out of her hands.

       "Watch your ass, Max! You break that and you won't be watching shit!" She said to him before rushing over to me. 

        "Are you alright?" She asks me worriedly. I can see the unshed tears in her eyes.

       "I'll be fine. Nice work with the movie. He wouldn't have believed me otherwise." I look over to where the guys are watching the screen with rapt attention. I wonder if they would have believed us if Max hadn't been hiding in the shadows. Ass clown!

        I close my eyes and inhale deeply. When I open them again, I'm met with dreamy blue gaze of my favorite vampire. The look in his eyes tells me he's concerned for me, but I can also see awe in them too.

        "You owe us your truth, my pretty girl. I'm starting to worry that you're not from this planet. I kind of hope you're an alien! I mean, how cool would that be?" Paul grins at me while helping me stand up.

        "We definitely need to talk, but without him." I whisper as I nod my head towards Max. "I don't trust him at all."

        "But you trust me, huh? You sure know how to make a vamp feel all tingly inside, Babe!" He walks away with a little pep in his step. I roll my eyes heavenward.

        An hour and a half later, the movie credits are rolling, and my iPad is about to die. I'm sitting on the edge of what would have been Star and Laddie's bed in the movie. Courtney tenses up beside me. Neither of us know what will happen now. But we're about to find out as we watch all of their eyes cloud over yet again.

        "I think they're talking to each other in their minds. I don't know what it's called, but I think I've read about it somewhere." Courtney whispers to me. That makes perfect sense because something always ends up happening after their eyes clear up.

        "I'll be back in a few days. You boys behave in the meantime. Girls, you need to stay put here until we figure this out." Max says with an evil glint in his eyes.

         Courtney rolled her eyes so hard, I wouldn't be surprised if she got a glimpse of her own brain up there. I held in a chuckle and turned to look Max in the eye.

         "Why would we leave? We have nothing to hide, Marzipan." I growled at him.

        "It's Max, girl." He replied with an arched brow.

        I couldn't stop myself if I tried. I just had to...

         "My bad, Macaroon."

        "It's Max, child!"

        "My apologies, Marbles!"

         "Max is my name. Just Max!"

         "I'm sorry, Macaroni!"

          "For the last time, my name is MAX!"

          "I'll have to remember that, Mary Ellen!"

          "I'm leaving now. See you all in a few days!" He stomps out of the cave.

           I turn to see the others sitting in stunned silence. "What? What are y'all staring at? Have I got something hanging out of my nose?" I ask them with a small laugh.

         Courtney was the first to break, howling with laughter. Within seconds, Paul and Marko were rolling on the floor with tears in their eyes. Dwayne and David were silently laughing to themselves. I guess no one ever goes after Max like that. Mental pat on the back for me!

        "It's almost day break, guys. We need sleep. We can go over everything else when the sun goes down. Sound good?" I say in a tired voice. I suddenly feel exhausted. I guess the last few days are catching up to me.

         "Fine, but you two don't have to sleep on the couch. There's a separate room that we put your clothes in. It has a queen bed in it. Marko grabbed sheets and pillows at the store when you got your clothes. It's all set up." Dwayne said to me with a gentle smile.

         I wasn't expecting that. Yes, I missed having a bed, but I wasn't complaining about camping out on the couch. I was just grateful we didn't have to sleep out in the streets.

        "Thank you, boys! We will gladly take it! After the night we've had, we feel the need to crash harder than we ever have before!"

        They start heading to the tunnel when I see Paul turn around and come back to where I'm putting away my iPad.

         "Sam, we're going out after the moon rises. Just me and you. I'll give you a proper tour of Santa Carla. It'll be awesome!" He give me a smile that makes him look so young. Like an excited child.

          Be still my heart!

          "Sounds amazing! I can't wait!"

         Good grief! I sound like a teenager with her first crush. I hope I didn't sound that pathetic to him. He's smiling, so I must not have made that big of a joke of myself. I cringe inwardly as I give him my brightest smile and turn towards the hall that leads to our new room. I can feel his hand on my lower back until we part ways where the tunnel and hallway meet.

        "See you in a few hours, girl." He whispers and walks away.

        I place my hand over my racing heart. He just asked me out, right? Is it a date? Is it just friends hanging out? No, if it was friends then everyone else would be going too. But he made sure I knew it would be just the two of us. I'm filled with excitement as I pull the covers back and lay down next to my sister. I fall asleep with a giggle and smile on my face.

       "Until tonight, Love." I whisper to myself as I fell asleep.