Chapter 20

PAUL'S P.O.V.

        I remember Sam's beautiful face smiling at me, her arms tight around my neck while we flew through the air. I slightly remember Marko saying something, and then the air shook with the vibrations of three loud booms. And that was it. I thought I heard laughter too, but I can't be sure. 

       We just disappeared into thin air and reappeared in some sort of cinder block cell inside of a room with no windows and a metal door. What. The. Fuck?

         When we all woke up, we were relieved to be in the same cell together. It would drive us mad to be apart at a time like this. We all immediately started yelling for the girls, hoping they were brought here too. But we soon realized they weren't, and none of us could remember what happened to them. One minute we had them. Then the next we were here, and they were gone. I was fucking terrified for them.

         But I knew in my heart Sam wasn't truly gone. I admitted in my head what my heart already knew. What's left of my soul has imprinted on hers and turned into something timeless. Her sweet soul has breathed life back into mine. I feel things I haven't felt in decades. Emotional things. Girly emotional things. Like amazement at her strength of character. Impressed by her ability to see the good in a pack of ruthless vampires. And yes, I even feel love when I think of spending the rest of eternity with her by my side. I used to shudder at the thought of love. I never needed it before I was turned, and I especially didn't need it after. That was...until I plowed into her getting off of the carousel. Who knew my inability to pay attention would bring me the best thing I've ever had in my life? I know the stupid "The Lost Boys" movie played a part in her knowing who I was, but it had nothing to do with how I felt when I looked into her eyes.

        I'm shaken out of my daydream by David roughly pushing me into the wall. This poor dude is working himself up for nothing.

         "Dude, relax! I'd know if Sam was dead, and she's not. And we already know there can be NO Sam without Courtney, so I'm sure she's good too!" I don't get what's so hard for him to understand about that logic? It makes perfect sense to me!

        "Well hello there, Gentlemen!"

        We hear a disembodied voice in the room with us but see no one. Whoa! Not only did we get locked up who knows where, but now we're locked up in a haunted room!

        De-fucking-lightful!

          An apparition appears in front of the cell bars. An old lady, but we can clearly see through her. Hold on...it's the old crone from the Boardwalk!

         "I know you! You're the Fortune Teller chick Sam and I saw the other night!" I whisper in case someone's listening to us.

         "Very good, Honey! I popped in to let you boys know that your girlies are safe and sound, minus a slight swim in the ocean. They're on their way to the Boardwalk right now. I plan on meeting them there, but I need a favor from each of you. I'm going to need something of yours that the girls will recognize. Something special to you. Something they'll want you to have back, so they'll keep it with them always. Got anything like that?" She asks with a tilt of her head.

          "They'd definitely recognize our jackets. Especially Marko's because Courtney loves the naked lady patch on the back of it." David says with a roll of his eyes.

        "Take off your jackets and hold them in your hands. Yes, just like that. Now close your eyes." She starts mumbling some foreign language. When we open our eyes, we see a different mist cover each jacket, all of them a different color. David's was red. Mine was green. Dwayne's was blue and Marko's was purple.

         "I infused each of them with essence from your souls. As long as they're wearing or holding them, you'll be able to feel their emotions and contact them through their dreams. Same goes for them, although they'll have to figure that out on their own. But I have faith in them. They're smart young ladies!" She grins and reaches through the bars to take our jackets.

          "Why are you helping us? And them? What are we to you?" Dwayne asks her with a growl.

         "I'm Lavinia. I've been watching you boys for quite some time now. You four are a part of the end of my life. And so are the girls. I'll explain it all to them, and they can explain it to you. Maybe you can help them along the way?" She slowly starts to disapparate. 

Dreams are often
Not what they seem
You've always sworn
That four makes a team

Now you know you were wrong
And with your lives on the line
Two have come in
Their presence divine

From the great beyond
They were sent here for you
There's also two more
But for now they will do

Open your eyes
Your heart and your soul
Then and only then
Will your lives be made whole

          She completely disappeared with the last words she chanted, making eye contact with each of us. What was that? And why did it sound important? Dwayne will remember it, so I don't have to worry if I can't remember the words later. My brain feels so scattered right now. Like how I felt when I got roofied at Mardi Gras a few years ago.

          "My grandmother used to talk about Gypsies and their prophecies. We're a part of one of her prophecies." Dwayne leans against the wall as he tells us what he knows. "So are Courtney and Sam. Sounds like maybe there's more than just us and them, but I'm not positive. I'd have to study it more."

         "I feel naked without my jacket! If it wasn't for the girls, I wouldn't have handed it over." Marko whined as he crossed his arms over his chest. I roll my eyes at his theatrics. I feel naked too, but at least we have shirts on! Well, 3 of us do. I haven't seen Dwayne wear a shirt in decades. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even own one.

        "We need to figure out where we are. If what she said was true, we should be able to reach out to the girls through shared dreams once they have our jackets. We can let them know where we're at and form some sort of plan to get us the hell out of here." David tells us in an angry tone. I know he's pissed because someone was able to get the jump on us. But hey, shit happens. Like everything else, we'll get through this. The only difference this time is, we have something to look forward to afterwards.