I- indigo

Nighttime on the outskirts of town always had something magical about it. Most specifically in 𝑺𝒐𝒍'𝒔 𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝑺𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒆.

You could find the store by driving along the highway out of town. In the dark of the night the small building would stand out with it's bright sign outside emitting yellow and green lights.

A vomit inducing combination.

'Welcome to 𝑺𝒐𝒍'𝒔 𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝑺𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒆!'

The best place for last minute groceries, tobacco, candies and alcohol. There are drinks, snacks, cigarettes, utilities, anything you could want!

There was also a cashier who seemed to be getting more and more popular by the day.

Her second hand yellow uniform didn't do much for her looks. The name '(Y/n)' was sown into the breast of her shirt with bright green thread, making her colour scheme match that of the sign outside. Tiny holes dashed the area of her shirt where her name was emblazoned from the names of previous owners of the shirt.

But she was on edge, in her hands was a note. The note said 'FIX SPEAKER' in Sol Grey's handwriting. The muffled audio of a 60's pop song that was only emitted from one of the four speakers around the ceiling was enough reminder for that.

She folded and unfolded the piece of paper repeatedly, a nervous habit of her's. (Y/n) was trying to take her mind away from the matter at hand but that was hard to do when the great stress she was under sent sweat running down her (s/c) skin.

Her lips unconsciously formed the shapes that would make the words of the song with any effort from her vocal cords.

'It Must Be Him... by Vikki Carr.' Her mind told her the name of the song and it's artist.

(Y/n) was being silly. She should have been behind the counter, that was her job after all. But instead she was sitting in the supply closet with her knees to her chest. She was hiding.

She shouldn't have been hiding.

(Y/n) didn't need to hide! The men who were searching for her loved her very much and had no ill intention for her.

She was probably so confused, thinking she was going to get hurt. Silly (Y/n). They'd never hurt her, she was far too precious, far too special and far too lovely to hurt.

But she kept herself hidden. Why had she hidden such a pretty face? She should have come out and shown it to those that loved her!

The supply closet she'd tucked herself away in was the only part of the store without the blinding lights. Only the static filled audio and hints of white could creep under the locked door.

(Y/n) was foolish to go into the closet, her phone was way back at the cash register. The cash register that she'd been standing behind minutes ago, the cash register she'd been working behind for months without incident.

Before (Y/n) stood behind that grimy desk another woman did, in the very same yellow shirt as (Y/n)'s. This woman went by many names, but her favorite, first and the one her shirt displayed was Indigo.

Indigo Bellamy to be precise.

Indigo was a Scorpio. Even from a young age she'd retained all of her sign's negative traits like a sponge and left any of the good ones aside.

Manipulative, sadistic, secretive, vengeful and controlling.

Her family still loved her, refusing to see her for anything but sweet little girl they thought her to be.

Indigo was little over two years old when her brother was born. Her parents told her to call him Atlas but she more often thought of him as the little shit who was stealing all of the well deserved attention that should have gone to Indigo.

When she was five she discovered her favorite things. She liked red nail polish, causing anguish and running away.

The final two came part and parcel.

Indigo would run away once every two or three months, it was a bid at her family's attention that never failed.

She'd be dashing down the streets and get swept up in her mother's arms as poor Daria Bellamy wept over almost losing her only daughter.

The Bellamy's had always been overbearing, they were a tight knit family with countless uncles, aunts and cousins that Indigo and Atlas had to become familiar with.

Atlas was just like everyone else. He loved Indigo. How could he not? She was his spectacular elder sister.

Indigo was fond of her brother, he was fun to mess with. She'd often tell him that she was going to leave and never return, he'd always start begging her to stay no matter how many times she made these empty promises.

She didn't think there was anyone else she'd rather watch cry than Atlas. His pale face would go bright red as great globules of snot accompanied the ugly tears ran all over his face. His expression would be contorted in pain, it never failed to make Indigo smile.

As she grew older her manipulation only become worse. She grew into a pretty young lady. Short strawberry blonde hair stopped short of her chin, rosy cheeks, a flattering bone structure, all these things gave her a girlish and innocent appearance.

Indigo knew she was pretty and took full advantage of it. There was only one thing that filled her with bitter envy. Her brother's eyes. His were blue as the sky on a clear summer's day, she used to listen in agony as he received endless compliments on his beautiful eyes. Atlas would never know how to respond only making Indigo angrier, he'd get flustered and shy away. If he was going to have those eyes he should at least know how to utilize them!

She had blueish-grey eyes. They were nice, but not nearly as striking as her brother's. That was another reason she liked making him cry, his tears would blur the color.

But tormenting her brother could get boring. Attention from her family also got boring. There was a large world out there! Filled with poeple she could torture and sap the attention of!

"I have to leave, Atlas." Indigo said as he packed up her bag.

"Don't leave me! Please!" He sobbed, his arms weakly reaching out to his sister. Indigo shrugged and zipped up her suitcase.

"I'm nineteen. I don't want to live here anymore." This was the very first time that Indigo really meant it. "You'll see me again one day."

"You-you said you'd stay until I-I finished school!" Atlas wrapped his arms around himself to try and simulate the loving touch Indigo would never give him.

"There are places I need to see."

Those were the words that Indigo brutally left her brother with.

She had no destination, just a hefty sum of money in her pocket to sustain her travels.

Atlas cried for days. Painful wails that made his throat sore and his chest throb.

His dear elder sister had left, she was so cruel to him and yet the person he was closest to in the world.

No calls. No text. No sign of her ever returning for years on end.

Atlas moved out too eventually, but not to travel. He just wanted to be away from his parents. Every inch of their house was a reminder of Indigo's absence.

(Y/n) tore a little piece of the paper off, her mind still whirring and yet somehow stagnant at the same time.

The song was over and she needed to make a move. Her anguish was bringing her to the point of shaking.

Indigo would have loved to see her like this.