XXV- in the cold

(Y/n) and Atlas were sitting next to each other later at dinner. There were several tables laid out in the large lawn in the Bellamy's garden to seat all of the guests, since Atlas was their son he had a seat at the main table along with (Y/n), his plus-one.

"I need to know how my son got a girl like you." Daria cooed in (Y/n)'s direction. "He's always been such an anxious little boy."

Atlas frowned at his mother calling him a 'little boy' but didn't bring it up.

"Well... We actually met while I was working. He thought Indigo worked at the store where I work and he came in." (Y/n) just decided to keep the actual story of how they met instead of complicating things by lying even more. "The rest, as they say, is history." She nudged him playfully.

Atlas smiled at (Y/n) adoringly, he wished she knew how much he truly loved her instead of thinking it was all an act for his parents.

"That's nice." Nino, Atlas's dad, commented. "Daria and I met quite young."

"Yes, we were in school. Highschool sweethearts if you can call it that." Daria giggled. "We got married right after we graduated from the same college and that was thirty years ago, well thirty years in a few month's time."

(Y/n) thought their story was sweet, she hoped one day to find a love like that with someone who she'd stick with through thick and thin. Atlas thought the same but unlike her he had a very specific person in his mind to fulfill that fantasy with.

(Y/n) had never had a relationship that reached a second anniversary so she could hardly imagine being married for thirty years as well as being together for years before that.

"What's your secret?" (Y/n) asked.

Nino and Daria looked at each other lovingly. "You've got all the boring stuff like communication, trust, understanding..." Nino then looked to Atlas and (Y/n). "But it's no secret, you just need a whole lot of love. And it looks like the two of you have got that."

Both Altas and (Y/n) blushed at the forwardness. (Y/n) wasn't quite sure why she got so flustered about Nino suggesting this very fake relationship was going to lead to thirty years of marriage.

Atlas was just so pleased his parents liked his lovely flower and thought she was as perfect for him as he thought she was.

Leo checked his watch excitedly. Within the next few minutes (Y/n) would be walking through the door for her shift. Even though it happened every day he still got very nervous for it, he constantly checked his reflection in the shiny plastic soda machine.

He watched the outside to see if her car was pulling in, she works normally arrive a few minutes earlier than when it was now but that was no matter, she was probably just running a little late. Oh, how adorable Leo would find it if she'd accidentally slept in and arrived with a cute little tired expression that made him want to pepper every square inch of her face with kisses.

But there was no cute and kissable face, instead a totally different car pulled in. Some old man entered and went over to the cashier who was currently working to explain something to him.

Leo knitted his brows inwards and moved closer to the cash register in order to hear exactly what was being said.

"-her shift just for today."

Leo only heard the very last part of what the old man said.

"Got it, Sol." The cashier responded.

This must be Sol, the guy in charge, (Y/n)'s boss and the person who was indirectly bankrupting Leo. Not that Leo actually held that against him, he was more than happy to buy (Y/n) everything she wanted. He didn't really have any problems with Sol, he just wanted to know why this guy was here instead of (Y/n).

So when the cashier left his post to go change and go home and Sol took his place, Leo approached the cash desk with a pack of gum.

"Just this."

Sol nodded and scanned the single item. He was then about to ask Leo if he wanted a bag but then recognised him. "Hey, you're (Y/n)'s friend, aren't ya'?"

"Yeah, I am, I was actually wondering where she was." Leo tried to hide just how desperately he wanted to know.

"She's taking the night off, says she's doing a favor for another friend of her's... You want a bag?"

Leo frowned. "Oh, uh no thanks. Did she say what friend?"

Sol held out the gum with a short receipt. "Nope. I'm surprised she didn't tell you, you're in here all the time."

"Yeah... I'm surprised she didn't tell me too."

Silly (Y/n) should have seen the signs. The day when everything would come to light was growing closer and closer. The day she'd be cowering away in a supply closet.

With every smile, kind gesture, laugh, word, touch and action she only pushed this outcome forward.

It was her fault, wasn't it?

She shouldn't have been so endearing if she didn't want this to happen.

(Y/n) hit her head on the wall she was backed up against. Next time she just won't be nice to anyone, right? How the hell was she supposed to know that they were crazy?