XXXIV- the long run

"Uno!!"

"Cheyenne... For the last time, having one dollar in your bank account isn't a good thing." Aiden sighed. "And you don't need to yell 'uno' everytime you reach it."

"One dollar??" (Y/n) exclaimed in alarm.

"It's fine, his parents will send him as much money as he wants."

(Y/n) sighed in relief, she already felt like she was imposing as it was. She'd actually been wondering how Cheyenne could possibly afford this place while unemployed but his parents paying for everything made a lot of sense.

She'd been staying with Cheyenne for two nights, Aiden was going back home that day. At first, (Y/n) was a bit nervous to learn this. But the longer she stayed with Cheyenne the more she realised that he was basically harmless.

His girlfriend was also coming to visit before Aiden had to go and (Y/n) wasn't sure how she felt about meeting her. She didn't want to get too attached to any of them, she had to think long term.

This ideally included her getting a job, getting some valid evidence to get a restraining order put out against both Leo and Atlas (if she couldn't get them behind bars) and then returning back to her old life.

(Y/n) wasn't attracted to the idea of starting a whole new life, she had friends, family and qualifications that she didn't want to give up.

"You don't know anywhere I could get a job, right?" She asked Cheyenne who stared at her like she was insane.

"You don't need to get a job, I'll cover for ya'." He dismissed.

"I don't want to overstay, I can't just live with you and do nothing forever."

"What d'you need a job for anyway?"

Aiden sighed and cut in the conversation. "There's a job office near here, you can head down there after Nicole's left."

"Oh... I don't want to intrude on you and Nicole. I'll go down there before she gets here." (Y/n) said awkwardly.

"Nah, you gotta meet her."

"I don't know... What if your girlfriend is upset that I'm here, it's not like I'll be staying for long after all." She started fiddling with her fingers as she tried to think of a way to get out of this.

Aiden snickered a bit at the predicament and (Y/n) glared at him.

"She's not upset, Nicole ain't the jealous type. She really wants t' meet you. I told her all about you." He said.

"You told her about me? When? Why?"

Aiden laughed a patted (Y/n) on the back. "Good luck."

(Y/n) tried to keep a smile on her face as she watched Cheyenne and Nicole engage in what was possibly the most intense make out session she'd ever witnessed. The age difference didn't help, despite how old Cheyenne looked he was only nineteen and she was forty nine.

She understood that it was technically legal and all that but it was still weird. 'To each their own.' She thought.

Aiden seemed unbothered by the display, he'd probably seen it enough to be used to it by now. "Hey, (Y/n)?" He said quietly so as not to disturb his cousin and Nicole, though it seemed like not even an earthquake could stop them.

"Yeah?"

"Nicole? She's kind of... Well, you'll see."

(Y/n) sighed in irritation. "Why do you always do that? If you want to tell me something then just tell me instead of doing this fake out thing."

Aiden shrugged. "She's just a bit... Quirky??"

"More, um, quirky than Cheyenne?"

He tilted his head to the side and scrunched up his nose. "It's tricky."

"That doesn't answer my question." She hissed.

But before Aiden could give her a clearer idea of what she was in for Cheyenne and Nicole were finally off of each other.

"You must be (Y/n)!" Her voice was high pitched but not as annoying as (Y/n) was expecting. Nicole was still laying on top of Cheyenne on the couch.

"Uh, yep, that's me." (Y/n) smiled at her politely. As much as she didn't understand Cheyenne's way of living she still thought he was really nice and so far Nicole hadn't given her much reason to dislike her.

"You're on the run? That must be fun." She grinned.

(Y/n) laughed nervously and glanced at Cheyenne. "You told her?" There was a hint of irk in her voice.

"Don't worry, she's cool." Cheyenne assured, not even fathoming the fact that (Y/n) wasn't wanting to spread this information around.

"Have you told anyone-"

"Did you kill someone?" Nicole interrupted.

(Y/n) diverted her vision from Cheyenne to his girlfriend. "Um, no, I didn't." She then looked to Cheyenne again. "Does anyone-"

"Did you see someone kill someone else?" Nicole asked and then gasped in delight. "Wait! Are the pigs after you?"

"No and no. Cheyen-"

"Boring! Why are you even on the run?" Nicole stood up. "You can trust me, I have blackmail on everyone in this town."

(Y/n) squinted, struggling to see why that latter piece of information would make Nicole trustworthy in the slightest. "It's unimportant, can you let me talk to Cheyenne?"

"Come on, I-"

"Nicole." Aiden cut in. "I think I saw a deer outside."

"A deer?? Fuck. I'll be right back." Nicole scrambled towards the front door, not even bothering to put on any shoes before she went outside.

(Y/n) mouthed a 'thank you' to Aiden and then looked at Cheyenne who was sitting up and coaching his breath.

"Cheyenne, did you tell anyone else about me?"

"No, I've got your back." He said sincerely. "I told Nicole not to tell anyone either."

(Y/n) bit down on her lip, she wanted to trust Cheyenne and sort of did but she was still unsure about Nicole.

Either way, she knew she couldn't stay here for long and would need to find an alternative plan soon.

(Y/n) didn't want to beg Aiden to stay when he left but she wasn't all that happy about his departure.

Cheyenne was nice and all but Aiden was practically the only normalcy (Y/n) had, the only hint of her old life.

Aiden said he'd be coming back to Cheyenne's in a few months but (Y/n) was sort of hoping to have moved on by then.

Hopefully the next time she saw the teenager would be him begging her for beer from across the counter.