VI- trickery

The sunrise shone through the glass door, (Y/n) loved it as it meant her shift was almost over, it was also pretty beautiful.

Oranges, blues and pinks meshed perfectly as the sun glowed low in the sky. The light mixed with the ones in the store to give a subtle golden sheen to it.

(Y/n) had seen a few more customers over the night but nothing notable. Around fifteen minutes before the end of her shift both Sol and Lyla walked in, they her respectively her boss and another cashier.

"Morning, (Y/n)." Sol greeted as Lyla went to the back to change into her uniform. "All good?" He was consistently pretty informal with his employees.

"Yep." She said with a smile. "I actually have to talk to you after my shift is done."

"Sure thing, darlin', is there anything that needs to be restocked?"

"Quiet night." She shrugged and received a nod back.

The next fifteen minutes passed pretty quickly with two customers coming in before (Y/n) had to switch over with Lyla.

(Y/n) passed the supply closet and entered the back room which was used by employees to store their stuff and all the uniforms. She quickly got changed and neatly hung up her uniform for ten o'clock that night.

She then took out the (f/c/b) Atlas had bought her earlier and took a bite before folding over the wrapper to protect it and putting it in her bag.

She walked out and found Sol in the supply closet as he was noting down the contents.

"Hello, I needed to-"

"Talk." He finished her sentence and then lowered his clipboard. "What is it?"

"I had two customers ask about someone called Indigo Bellamy? They said that she worked here, I don't know if she's on the weekend or a part timer..." (Y/n) trailed off. "I didn't really know what to tell them."

"Ah, yes... Indigo she was a funny one. She quit last week and gave you your opening. She said something about moving away too, not sure where." He recalled the strange woman who he had employed. "I don't know why people would want to be looking for her, she wasn't all that nice."

"Really?"

"I almost had to fire her a few times for getting too pissed off at some customers. When you first meet her she seems fine but that girl lies like it's second nature." Sol shook his head. "I wouldn't worry about her, she can handle herself."

"They didn't seem worried they just had no idea where she had gone. They didn't even know she didn't work here anymore." (Y/n) shifted her weight awkwardly.

"Who's 'they'?" The older man asked.

"Her brother and... Some other guy, I only know that he's not her boyfriend."

Sol clicked his tongue and had a clueless expression.

"You don't have any idea where she could've gone?" (Y/n) winced, it wasn't like she owed Atlas and Leo anything but she didn't want to return empty handed.

"Sorry, darlin', I can try to get in contact with her but I can't promise anything." Sol replied apologetically.

"It's okay, thanks anyway." (Y/n) smiled at him weakly and then went walked out of the store. The chilly morning air hit her and she breathed in.

The colors of the sunset had now subsided in favor of a pale blue sky. It wasn't quite as spectacular but the view still made (Y/n) smile.

Meanwhile Indigo was sound asleep in the bed of her new apartment. She needed to do some job hunting that morning but six was far too early to rise.

She was still resetting her sleeping times from working the night shift.

Two phones sat on her bedside, both belonging to her. One had been silenced of the texts Leo, Atlas and various others were sending her and the other had her new number to speak to new people.

She'd fallen back into her habits, well, it wasn't as if they ever left her. It would be more accurate to say that she was continuing her habits of emotionally manipulating whatever poor person she could wrangle.

Indigo wanted to do more with her old life, it was hard to leave behind when she had so much fun messing with her brother's mind. She was sure that he would've gone to the store by now, maybe people saw him cry in public. That would've been funny.

If only she were there to see it.

But no. Being away from him was better, she could relish in the knowledge that he was suffering rather than seeing it first hand.

No matter how badly she wanted to see it.

She smiled and hugged her pillow as her dream played out- the sounds of Atlas's cries filled her mind. The lovely dream she was having saw him cry so much that he cried all the blueness out of his eyes until all that was left were the whites in his eyes and that made him cry even more.

"Silly, Atlas." She muttered. "Stupid, brother."

Atlas had set his alarm early that morning, he was sitting at the edge of his bed and loomed over his phone, it was open to his conversation with (Y/n).

He eagerly awaited for her to send him a text about what her boss said about Indigo. In theory he could text her first to make sure she hadn't forgotten, but what if she got offended at the suggestion that she was forgetful?

The last thing Atlas wanted to do was offend (Y/n), he hadn't known her long but he knew that he didn't want her to be sad.

As minutes became hours and more and more time ticked it became evident that she had indeed forgotten to text him. Atlas frowned and switched his phone off in defeat, though part of him doubted that he was more sad about the lack of information about Indigo or the fact that (Y/n) hadn't texted him.