XXII- economic

(Y/n) let out a happy breath as she placed her work shirt on the hanger. Another shift was over and she was free for the day. While her paranoid thoughts prevailed the employees only area for changing was one of the only places where (Y/n) didn't feel watched, she supposed that a camera free, windowless room would feel pretty private.

Leo stayed longer than usual today, his stays at the store seemed to extend everyday to the point where she'd have to be ushering him out of the door to ensure he actually got a wink of sleep at night.

When she stepped out into the store Sol called her over as he was restocking shelves. (Y/n) didn't think much of it as it was commonplace for Sol to make conversation with his employees and check on how they were doing.

"Hi, Sol." She greeted him causally.

"Hey there, I'm gonna cut to the chase for you, darlin'. Recently I've been looking at the cameras to see how things are doing 'round here and I see you laughing it up with this guy for the past few days, I don't know how long this has been happening. I don't have any problems with you talking to your friends but he can't be in here not buying anything." Sol explained with a light huff at the end.

"Oh, right." (Y/n) went slightly red from the embarrassment of being called out. "I'll tell him, sorry."

"I got no issue but... You know, we're runnin' a business not a meeting." He shrugged. "Other than that, all's looking good."

"Okay... Sorry again, I-"

"Don't apologize, darlin', you didn't know but now you do."

(Y/n) nodded, she wasn't used to Sol telling her off, even if he wasn't really mad at her it still felt like she was getting reprimanded by a teacher she admired.

She walked out of the store and sat in the front seat of her car, before driving away (Y/n) pulled her phone out and clicked on Leo's contact. She understood that he may not pick up because of the early hour it was and (Y/n) was more expecting to just leave him a message via voicemail that he'd hear whenever he woke up.

But to her surprise he picked up almost instantly.

"Hey, are you okay? How was work?" His voice flowed out of the speaker promptly.

"Uh, hi, I'm good, work's all fine and done with." (Y/n) said. "My boss just spoke to me..."

"Is he firing you? Oh, sweetheart, if he is then you can-"

"No. No, he didn't fire me." (Y/n) was a bit startled at the conclusion that he jumped to. "He just said that you can't come in every night without buying something... I'm happy to look out for Indigo for you instead."

"Oh... Well, I'll just have to buy something every night then." He said decisively.

"What?"

"However much your boss wants me to buy, I'll buy. It doesn't matter to me." Leo spoke about this as if it was the most sound decision when in truth it wasn't at all economically sound.

"Leo.. are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Please don't worry about me, (Y/n), I'll see you tonight."

Before (Y/n) could slip another word into their conversation, he hung up.

And that was exactly what happened. For the next week Leo came in every evening just as he had done before that only this time he'd be buying multiple items throughout the night.

(Y/n) had expected to maybe buy one cheap thing just before he left as a sort of loophole but Leo wasn't taking the easy way out. He continued to shock her by giving her practically everything he bought, from the the time they'd spent together he knew what sort of stuff she liked so he purposefully bought all (Y/n)'s favorite things that were stocked in the store and gave them to her every night no matter how adamantly she refused him.

It was taking a negative toll on his bank account but Leo didn't care much, he could always borrow money from his family or do some extra work if necessary. Also if Leo thought he should start buying (Y/n) more extravagant gifts, then he could always revise his rent payments.

Who needs hot running water anyway, right?

"This is ridiculous, Leo." (Y/n) laughed a bit as he pushed forward a basket full of all the ingredients for her favorite dish. She may have been laughing but this was growing less funny as time went on and more concerning to watch Leo blow so much money on her. "I really can't accept this."

"I'm a customer, and the customer always knows best." He smirked and gestured for her to begin ringing up the items.

(Y/n) sighed helplessly and looked down at the food with a slight frown on her face.

"Do you want something different?" Leo saw her expression and immediately jumped in.

"That's not it... You really don't need to buy me all of this stuff... It makes me feel bad."

"I can cover it, don't worry." Leo assured her, making his wealth seem significantly larger than it in fact was. "I just want my favorite girl to have her favorite food."

(Y/n) blushed and tucked some of her hair behind her ear. "I-"

"Come on, I won't be able to come here anymore if you don't let me buy this." He continued to try and entice her.

But that was the thing, (Y/n) didn't really want him there every single night. She was too kind for her own good and wouldn't dare say a thing about it since Leo had been nothing but good to her but he was growing to be overwhelming to be around.

(Y/n) let out a sharp breath and began scanning the items begrudgingly.