Chapter Twenty Three

Christmas Eve.

I wake up to Jackie jumping on our bed. "Jackie, what do you want? We're sleeping."

"I excited! It Christmas eve! Tomorrow Christmas!"

"Sweetie, go back to sleep." I say, groggily. "You can sleep here if you want." Alex's arms are wrapped around my waist so I lift his arm up and Jackie settles herself between us. Alex gets up.

"What? What's going on?"

"She's going to sleep here."

"Did she have a nightmare?"

"No, she woke up too early excited that it's Christmas tomorrow."

"Oh."

"How could you not feel her jumping up and down on our bed?"

"Heavy sleeper?"

"Yet I lift your arm up and you wake up."

"Hm yeah cos I'm now not touching you."

"You have me daddy!"

He kisses Jackie's cheek and she giggles. "Love you little munchkin."

"I wuv you daddy!"

"Don't ever grow up, please?"

"I won't! I pwomise!" Aw bless, she won't be able to keep that promise. I start falling back asleep and Alex tells her to sleep some more. He puts his arm over us both, his hand ending up on my waist. He tickles me a bit.

"Alex!"

"Sorry." I could tell he was grinning. That bastard.

***

I soon get up and I'm in the bed, alone. Where did they go? I was too lazy to investigate but then I heard Jackie scream. I quickly get up and run to wherever. I check her room but she wasn't there so I check the living room... But then, I see the kitchen. It's an absolute mess!

"What happened to the kitchen?!" I say, literally freaking out.

"We try making cookies for Santa!" She says. I look at her. She is covered in flour!

"What happened to you?"

"Daddy put white powder on me! And pink sprinkles!" Why do they even have the sprinkles out?! Cookies don't need them!

"Alex!"

"She's going to have a bath later anyways."

"That's not the point, you don't turn our child into a delicious treat." I huff.

"Babe, chill." He walks towards me with a sinister smile. Oh fudge cakes.

"Alex, don't you dare. I know what you're up to."

"What? I'm not up to anything." I back away.

"Alex. I'm warning you." He runs towards me and wraps one his arms around me making sure I couldn't escape. With the other hand, he covers me entirely in flour. Flour is in my hair. Jackie just watches in fits of giggles. "I have the urge to really hit you in the balls." I whisper so Jackie couldn't here.

"Hm, but you wouldn't. You want more kids right?"

"Of course, but I'm so pissed off at you right now. Honestly."

"Babe, seriously just chill."

"You ruined the kitchen, covered our daughter in flour and sprinkles and now me? What's next, you burnt the cookies?"

"Mummy look!" She shows me the burnt cookies. I could murder Alex right now. But of course, I love him too much. I elbow him in the stomach and go to the bathroom and lock the door.