Chapter 7.

Back aching, sore from the extra chores I sat down heavily at the dining table. Leo's presence behind me prickled my neck and I half heartedly smiled at him sitting down next to me. I had yet to confront him about the book from the library a couple of days ago, and it was hanging over me like a dark cloud.

“Though day?” He questioned sticking a fork in the stew.

I grunted a respond and started shuffling food in my mouth.

We had barely touched since he let me smell him in the corridor. I had even slept in the chair in our bedroom, not wanting to loose my shit in my pants again. Several cold showers during the day and night kept me sane. Or so I thought.

“Maybe I should help with your chores tomorrow”

“No Leo” My father said from across the table “My son made the crime and needs to do the time”

“Thanks anyway” I smile to Leo.

He shifted in his seat an brushed his knee towards mine. I tense up, but kept eating my food. He gently placed his foot down next to mine. Was this intentionally? My leg felt like it was coming alive from a long slumber, prickling and waking me up with a warm sensation.  Did he know what he was doing to me?

“So Leo” chugging down a mouthful of water the king spoke again ”I hear you are doing well in the hunting formation. I was actually thinking of sporting you around a bit.”

“What do you mean sir?” Leo tensed and I instinctually inched closer to him.

“Leo please, i've told you to call me Odin. And well with new crew in our pack we like to test them out a bit, to know their strength as well as their weakness. So we usually circle them around a bit, nothing major but a couple of days here and there.”

It was unusual for a pack to have several bird formations like we had, I know, but not unheard of, even our closest rival had one or to packs, but that would probably be my father's new line of thought rubbing off on them.

“Im doing good in the hunting formation” Leo seemed unsure of the kings offer.

“Your doing great actually, I've spoken to Borris he says you got good eyes and are an excellent spotter.”

“So why are you moving me?”

“No my father is not moving you Leo” I say to my mate, trying to reassure him my father mean well “-what he is trying to say is that if you want to you could try other jobs here at the pack.” 

“Yes, it is never my intention to move a shifter from its current position who doesn't want to, but I think you will find that we have different types of jobs that might fit you better” The king leaned back in his chair but added. “- Or it might not and you will be placed back in hunting formation.”

“What was your position in you fathers pack? I question my mate.

“I was a front line defense” Leo stated

“Hu.. didnt know King Graydon let birds inn his defense formation.” It was well known King Graydon didn't particularly care for bird shifters. 

“He didn't” Leo's words were sharp as if taken out of a memory, but before I could ask him more about it he glanced towards my father “I would like to try different positions if you let me King Odin.”

“Excellent. -We already have a bird defence position you could try, but i've been meaning to start reinventing the defense positions with both birds and gound animals, tactically united.” The king said clasping his hands together.