Identity

Narcissa tried to catch her son's gaze. He could feel how she wanted to help him. She was always so kind to him even if she was cold to others. He wanted to turn to her, to lean on her but he knew if he did that now she would see in his eyes that he did "Know" and that he was lying, so Draco refused to make eye contact.

Her desire to keep the family safe would overrule her desire to keep him out of this mess.

He didn't blame her.

He couldn't blame her.

He loved her and she loved him like he was the greatest son in the world despite all of his faults and shortcomings.

Lying was putting them all in danger.

If he lied flat-out and said it wasn't Potter his family could be marked for death as soon as the truth came out.

If he told the truth now it would bring whole of the wizarding world crashing down.

He could see the order of events unfolding in his head as clear as if they were happening for real and not just predictions.

Voldemort would be called.

Voldemort would come to the manor.

Voldemort would kill Harry Potter and every wizard after who got in his way.

He would also as kill every wizard who wasn't pure: He would Kill Hermione and probably make a show of it.

Then Voldemort would come out to the world and rein supreme.

He would create a new world-a dark world.

Lucius thought that new world would bring him fame and glory.

Draco knew it would only keep them teetering on the edge of the dark Lord's so-called "Good will" until someone did or said something he didn't like and made examples of them all.

No matter what happened Draco knew if Voldemort won he and his family would eventually lose.

He knew it down to his bones even if he was the only one who could see it.

Draco wanted to protect his mother; She had always protected and looked out for him.

He also wanted to protect Granger.

Stupid and irrational as it was, he wanted to protect her.

He also didn't want the future where Voldemort ruled the world and that meant that- for very personal and selfish reasons- he wanted to keep Harry safe too.

I can't believe I just thought that, Draco closed his eyes.

He knew he would choose family over all else; He had to, but he didn't want to have make the choice at all.

Narcissa turned to Lucius warning him that they had to be certain. Draco tried to tune them out.

He imagined he was somewhere else, somewhere safe, like the beach he loved so much, or Hogwarts.

He rested his head against his arm on the mantel.

"What about the Mudblood, then?" Greyback shoved Hermione forward and Draco's head shot up. The hairs on the back of his neck stood to attention.

You can't let him have her, he thought, You know what he'll do.

Draco had heard the rumors of Greyback's depravity.

He could hate Granger and still not want her to go through that...and he didn't hate Granger. He certainly didn't feel any affection for her...he couldn't...but he respected her too much to hate her.

Draco watched in the mirror as Hermione struggled against the werewolf's rough hands.

He saw Greyback smile.

He felt his cold blood boil.

If you paw at her I'll kill you, you great mutt, thought Draco.

He wanted to whirl and shout at the wolf-man, instead he turned slowly to face them, careful to keep his movements unhurried.

He didn't know where the protective urge was coming from but it was almost out weighing his desire for self-preservation.

Its just because she's a woman in trouble and your mother taught you never to hit a woman or let her be hurt in front of you, he told himself.

His father had somewhat different ideas about women however, Narcissa was a strong enough that if Lucius had ever raised a hand to her he would have spent the rest of his life regretting it.

"Wait," said Narcissa sharply.

Draco looked over to his mother.

Was she going to rescue Granger from Greyback.

Draco frowned and then he saw the look on Narcissa's face. It was a loot of hope. Narcissa recognized Hermione.

No, don't mother, Draco silently pleaded with her.

If no one else could positively identify Potter then the golden trio would be afforded some extra time.

If there was anything he knew about the trio it was that they had a habit of making use of time to escape danger.

Narcissa ignored, or didn't see, Draco's expression, as she got caught up in the enthusiasm of the moment.

"Yes-Yes," said Narcissa. She pointed to Granger. "She was in madam Malkin's with Potter! I saw her picture in the prophet!" Narcissa almost smiled.

Draco could see the desperation in her face: The desire to keep him safe.

She felt she was doing what was right for him .

His mother always tried to do what was right for him, even if he didn't always like it.

"Look Draco isn't it the Granger girl?" His mother inclined her head in earnest, seeking confirmation of what was fast becoming blatantly obvious.

Draco looked to his mother, then his glance darted briefly to Granger.

He didn't linger, he couldn't linger because he didn't want to see her pleading with him.

All the eyes in the room were on him.

He felt his heart thud in his ears, his pulse pounding.

A headache started at his temples.

Predictions of the future began to line up in images in his head once more.

This time his demise was more immediate.

He couldn't lie and say no.

It was obvious couldn't stall anymore, if he did everyone would know he was lying.

They would label him a traitor.

He would be handed over to the dark lord.

The dark Lord would kill them all.

That was what would happen if he didn't give them up.

Powerless, he felt-once again-utterly powerless.

"I..." he looked at his mother "Maybe..."

Time slowed, the room held its breath.

He looked to Hermione.

Forgive me Granger.

His next word felt like a nail in his own coffin.

"Yeah."

-

Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed this part please give some love and comment/click that little star.