The claim

A heartbeat passed in silence after the Dark lord disaparated.

What the hell do I do now? thought Draco as he watched Hermione glance around and room nervously.

She looked like a trapped doe unsure of which way to bolt. Her eyes were big and worried, and rightfully so.

You got yourself into quite the mess Malfoy, how exactly do you plan on getting yourself out of it? His inner critic asked.

Draco didn't have an answer.

First things fist, he thought to himself, you need to get her away from everyone else. She's in a room full of her enemies and she had no idea that you are on her side.

I'm not on her side, another part of his mind argued back. That didn't change the fact that he wanted to get her away from everyone as fast as possible.

He was her only ally in a room full of enemies and she had no idea,

Draco's gaze was drawn to the corner as Greyback started to rouse from his place on the floor, his mind immediately played over what would come next. Greyback would still want Granger as his reward. Draco swallowed, he didn't know how he was going to handle that particular conversation. What he did know was that there was no way in hell he was going to just hand Granger over to Greyback.

Get her out of here, the voice inside his head ordered.

Draco reached out towards Hermione and she recoiled from his touch.

I'm trying to help you, please don't make this harder. Draco pleaded with her silently.

If Hermione saw anything in his eyes she was choosing to ignore it.

Draco scowled.

Stubborn witch.

"Take her down to the dungeon," said Lucius trying to pull himself neatly together. He smoothed out his hair with a shaking hand. "Make sure she doesn't get out."

"Wait," said Greyback drawing everyone's attention. "Does no one remember she's supposed to be mine? My reward for catching Potter?"

I remember, thought Draco.

He smiled a wolfish grin at Hermione. "You're going to be worth it. I can smell that pretty little-"

Draco started speaking cutting off the vulgar end to Greyback's sentence.

"While you were passed out on the floor circumstances changed," his tone was the most posh and condescending and authoritative he could manage. All he wanted to do was rage at the werewolf and tell him that he would never touch Hermione while Draco was still around. Of course saying that would be as good as handing Granger over to them. If anyone in the room thought for one second that he was trying to protect her he would be labeled a traitor.

So why are you trying to protect her?

"I don't see how they could have changed that much," Greyback brushed off his coat and stuck his chin forward "I want my fun."

"I don't see why that would be an issue," said Bellatrix with a quirk of her brow. "We only have to keep her alive."

"No," Granger shrunk back and towards the wall as Greyback stepped forward.

"Stop!" Yelled Draco, his calm breaking.

The room turned to him at his outburst.

"She's mine, my charge, at the dark Lords orders." The words rushed out making him sound like a spoiled child even to his own ears. He might as well have been whining 'its my toy you can't play with it'

Draco watched Granger size him up trying to figure out just what was going on with him. He could practically see the wheels turning as she assessed whether or not she could trust him or turn to him.

Don't give us both away by being so damn trusting. You can't always find good in people Granger, sometimes there is nothing good to find.

"Don't worry, there will still be time for leftovers," said Greyback licking his lunged forward trying to catch her. His claw tore her sweater in an angry rip.

Hermione tried to run from the room and Bellatrix lashed out with a spell sending Hermione crashing to the floor, there was a crunching and Draco winced at the sound.

Draco wracked his mind for an excuse.

"As if I want your dirty seconds," spat Draco, clinging on to the only thing that would make 'sense' to the room as an excuse for him not wanting Greyback to touch Granger.

"She's my reward," growled Greyback.

"Was your reward," corrected Draco with an air of authority. His confidence welled.

If I play my cards right I can get my way on this, thought Draco and his mind kicked into high gear. Use the cunning Slytherin house is known for, for something good why don't you?

He latched on to an idea and ran with it.

"She was your reward," repeated Draco. "Now she's mine," Draco held out his arm. "The dark Lord bound her to me himself. If that doesn't give me the right to claim her, then I would like to know what higher authority you answer to." The challenge was obvious. If Greyback claimed he deserved her still over Voldemort's will he put himself in danger of creating dissent in the ranks,,,something that the Dark Lord did not take kindly too.

I dare you to challenge me on it, thought Draco darkly. With his aunt in the room the news would go straight back to Voldemort. Bellatrix already considered Greyback less because of the fact that he was a werewolf. She wouldn't hesitate to turn him over. Still, Draco didn't want to push his luck too much so he tried to soften the blow to give the werewolf a chance to back out and save face.

"If you want your reward you can have the gold she is worth, I'll pay you the sum myself," Draco offered trying to sound magnanimous, then his voice turned harder. "But understand, she is mine."

"Draco, why spare the gold. She's a Mudblood?" Bellatrix came over to him stroking a hand across his shoulder. "Surely you can share...it's not like she's pure."

"Because I don't want his filthy paws on her," the words were out of Draco's mouth before he could stop them or think better.

Dread gripped him.

That was the wrong thing to say.

-

Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed this part please give some love and comment/click that little star.