The Wardrobe

The anxiety Draco had kept at bay the last few hours over dinner came crushing in.

He needed out; Needed to escape.

Please Merlin let my new wand work,he drew his wand and walked over to his wardrobe.

He closed his eyes for a moment, just breathing, afraid to try in case it failed. Draco slid his hands over the wooden surface.

I can't fail, I need it...I need to escape.

He raised his wand and uttered the incantation.

There was a loud clunk, like a safe unlocking and when Draco opened the large wooden door of his wardrobe a sweet sea breeze greeted him brushing up against his face like a lover's caress.

Draco trembled with relief and inhaling deeply.

It worked, thank Merlin.

He moved to step inside and glanced back over his shoulder at Granger sleeping peacefully on the bed.

She'll be fine Draco, she made it through dinner without you,he told himself.

He turned back to the wardrobe and stepped inside closing and locking it behind him.

Inside the wardrobe was a sturdy wooden dock, smooth and pale under the light of the moon. Draco looked out at the night sky. It was speckled with stars and planets larger and brighter than in the real world. He had made them each himself. They reminded him, on some level, of childhood days and the time when he was carefree and the universe was big and beautiful. He let their light shine down on him and basked in the tranquility of his wardrobe oasis.

The island he had missed so much was not far away. Only a small stretch of about a hundred meter separated the dock and the door from the island oasis he had created as his own personal escape.

Reaching down Draco slipped off his dress shoes and then quickly rid himself of all his clothes, save for his black boxers, and dove in deep.

The water swallowed him refreshingly cool but not cold. It was, as always, a perfect contrast to the warm air.

The slight sting of the salt reminded him that the wound by his eye was not quite closed yet.

When he surface her let out a sigh and began swimming with strong pulls taking him forward, keeping his head above water-not wanting to irritate the cut further.

At least the salt will keep it clean,he thought to himself.

When he was a few feet away from the island his feet bumped shallows. He stood and waded the rest of the way out on to the sandy beach. A towel was waiting for him in its usual place on top of a large boulder on the edge of the island. He scooped it up and dried off his hair, not bothering with the rest. He tossed the towel back onto the rock and made his way past the twin palm trees and hammock over to the little round hut.

Much like the wardrobe the hut was not what it appeared from the outside.

On the surface it looked like a simple grass hut with a dried palm roof, inside...there was a hardwood floor polished to an almost glass-like shine that only magic could achieve. The walls on every side were lined with books floor to ceiling, and there was a fire place which crackled for ambiance but provided no real heat. The island was quite warm on its own and a fireplace wasn't needed for practical reasons, only for visual comfort.

There was a big couch facing the fire. It was poofy and black and soft.

This is where I want to be,thought Draco his shoulders relaxing.