Dinner

Draco's stride did not falter when he saw Snape sitting opposite his father at the dinner table.

It was uncommon for Snape to stop by without business, which meant there was some news...or maybe Snape wanted to hear first-hand about yesterday's events. His mother's friends were there as well, the pureblood women who Draco had seen many times before. Apparently the days earlier hiccup hadn't been a big enough issue for Narcissa to cancel or postpone anything.

That's because cancelling would mean having to admit that something was wrong,thought Draco unhappily.

Draco sat down and noticed that the women were looking at Bellatrix with some concern.

Draco didn't blame them, if anything yesterday's events and the fact that on top of everything she had cursed the wound she had carved into Hermione, made Draco feel even more wary of his aunt.

Bellatrix however didn't seem all that interested in the guests. She was entirely focused on talking with Snape. Or rather, she was talking at Snape who appeared to be sitting even more rigidly than usual.

The new headmasters eyes flickered to Draco and Draco shifted uneasily.

Why wasn't the professor at school? Surely Hogwarts needed their headmaster.

It's not the same school you loved,he reminded himself.

Now its run by tyrants who teach the cruciatus curse by practicing on first years.

You cast that on Granger less than twenty four hours ago, who the hell are you to judge.

Draco pushed that thought down and focused on the dinner itself. He remained mostly silent and found the food was not so tasteless at it had seemed at his last meal. He tried to ignore the fact that it was likely due to Granger being on his room rather than the cellar.

"...And it was Draco who had the wherewithal to suggest we use the little Mudblood as bait," he aunt said smiling proudly at him pulling Draco away from his thoughts.

Draco forced a smile back worried that it might look more like a grimace than a smile.

"The dark Lord put him in charge of her," said Bellatrix "Shame about the whole Binding bit, but it will keep it so she can never run away," Bellatrix clapped happily and giggled. The two women shifted nervously at her manic nature.

"It's an honor," squeaked Lucius and then coughed, clearing his throat. "It is an honor which requires sacrifice."

"But only temporary," said Bellatrix in a scolding tone to Lucius. "We can do away with the bind as soon as we have Potter."

Like hell you will!Draco growled mentally at his aunt.

Doing away with the bind meant killing Granger and he wasn't going to let that happen.

Something about seeing her and saving her in the cellar had solidified the need to keep her alive in his mind. He wasn't going to let anyone touch her-not if he could help it.

Not ever.

Snape seemed to sense his thoughts and Draco shot the headmaster a glare.

Back off.

Dinner continued without further issue and the conversation turned to flower arrangements and remained on similar frivolities for the duration of the meal.

When all was said and done Draco excused himself from the table and walked towards his room.

"So you finally get to have you vengeance on the witch who bested you," Snape's voice came at Draco from the shadows and he stepped out into the light as Draco turned to face his teacher and mentor.

"So?" Draco shot.

"Where is she?" asked Snape. "I looked for her in the cellar and found it decidedly..." he paused in his usual manner, "empty."

"Why do you care?" you need to keep face, Draco reminded himself,this is Voldemort's right hand, you cannot show that you care.

"Because she is the cleverest witch of her age...Mudblood or not," Snape came closer. "Where is she?"

"She's in my room."

An emotion Draco didn't recognize flirted across Snape's face too fast to be deciphered.

"I would be careful how you tread Mr. Malfoy." There was an obvious threat in Snape's voice.

"Don't worry," Draco sneered. "She's safe from escape."and from you and anyone else.

"That isn't my concern..." Snape said and then straightened. "You would do well to make sure she seems worth rescuing to her friends."

"She would be worth rescuing to them even if she only has one breath left," answered Draco.

"True, but think about what they would do to the one who put her in that state?" asked Snape raising a brow.

"Why do you care? The Dark Lord is supposed to win anyhow which would mean that shouldn't matter."

Snape snapped a hand forward and Draco flinched back his back hitting the wall as Snape came far too close for comfort cornering him against the stone.

"In case it escaped your memory. I made an unbreakable vow to your mother to protect you. You would do well to help me keep that vow," said Snape.

Self-preservation, Draco sneered. Of course that was what this was about.

You're no better, his inner voice reminded him darkly.

"Well you can relax," Draco answered shoving Snape's arm off him and slipping away from the wall. "I know what I'm doing."

Draco hurried up the stairs to his room and burst in slamming the door behind him.

-

thanks for reading. If you liked this chapter you know what to do :)