A Dream of Butter-beer

Hermione was back at Hogwarts in the common room of Gryffindor tower. The warm colours and familiar smells made her feel safe and calm.

My home away from home, she thought with a sigh.

She wished she was back at home with her parents and a wave of sadness flowed through her.

They wouldn't know you if you stood right in front of them, she reminded herself.

You did it to protect them.

It was the hardest thing she had ever done and a small part of her felt guilty. She had stolen herself from them-stolen a piece of their lives. She wondered if they, on some level, noticed the absence...noticed something missing. Had she left a hole in their hearts or was the spell she had cast strong enough to erase even the feeling that something was gone that had once been there? Was she as shadow in the corner of their minds eye, flickering away as soon as they looked? Or not even memorable enough to be an absence?

Hermione closed her eyes trying to push away those thoughts.

She was safe here at Hogwarts and after everything that had happened at the mansion being safe was good enough.

Outside the window was a light drizzle of rain, pitter-pattering on the pane's soothingly. A log in the fireplace popped and Ron came and sat next to her on the couch draping his arm around her.

It was harder than usual for her to ease into his arms. Something small about it felt forced.

It's because he left you there so long.

You can't blame him, you know he had to have tried, she told herself.

"I missed you 'Mione. Something fierce," Ron pulled her in close and Hermione let him. She wanting to sink down into his arms and let go of all of the tension that was lingering around her.

Relax, she told herself.

"We were right worried about you, you know. Worried sick," said Ron and while the words were meant to be comforting they didn't reach Hermione the way she wanted them too.

Hermione looked up and Ron and saw him looking intently down at her as if willing her to believe him. She could almost feel how he wanted her to just be "okay" and assuage his guilt.

Why is it my job to make him feel better? the part that was still mad at him asked. She closed her eyes and tried to push the emotional side down.

"I believe you," she answered, without looking up at him.

"I'm just glad Harry and I got you out of that place."

"So am I Ron." Hermione answered and snuggled deeper into his arms, finally able to let a little of her tension go.

He and Harry had come for her. They had rescued her from that hell. Everything was okay now.

"How did you survive there anyways? Harry and I were both worried you were dead."

Hermione stiffened immediately.

She couldn't bring herself to talk to Ron about what had happened. She didn't need to add to his guilt and she didn't want to re-live things herself.

And...more than that, she knew Ron wouldn't understand if she told him about Draco.

"Ron I'm thirsty," she sidestepped his question, sitting up. "Can you bring me some butter-beer?"

"Sure 'Mione," said Ron with a nod. "Whatever you need," he unfolded himself from the couch and left her alone staring at the crackling fire.