➶ One ➴

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

"Mommy mommy! Can I go out and play with my neighbours?" The little boy excitedly asked his mother as soon as he finished his breakfast that morning.

"Yes, but remember to be careful! Stay away from roads and don't talk to strangers okay? The middle-aged woman smiled as she watched her son run out of the house with his football.

"Kick it to me! Kick it to me!" The little boy shouted to his neighbour and best friend, all while waving his hands frantically at his neighbour.

The boy watched as his neighbour kicked the ball towards him. They played together at a grass field near the road, but was close to their homes so it was alright. The ball rolled towards the boy, but since he was unable to kick it in time, it continued rolling and ended up stopping in the middle of the road.

"I'll go get it, don't worry!" The little boy said.

"No, it's dangerous. It was my fault anyway, don't go get it, we'll just play with my ball." The neighbour tried to convince the boy.

Knowing the boy's personality, the neighbour thought he probably won't be able to convince him, but at least he gave it a shot.

The boy ran towards the road, the neighbour following closely behind, constantly checking to see if there were any cars.

The small boy ran as quickly as his feet could carry him to the middle of the road. He lifted the ball up high as soon as he grabbed it, and turned around, beaming at his neighbour.

"Come back here! What if there's a car?"

"Why are you so stressed? Look, I can get ther-"

"CAR!"

The young boy turned his head and saw a car driving towards him so fast, he was scared, stoned. He knew he needed to run but his feet wouldn't budge.

Then it all went black.

The once beautiful summer day somehow turned dark. The lush green trees no longer swayed with the wind, the never ending blaze blue sky no longer looked as colourful as it used to be. The soft breeze and sweet smell of pollen and freshly bloomed flowers suddenly turned cold and bitter, like the harsh winter.

The woman rushed outside to the field as soon as she heard a loud sound. She stared in horror as a little boy laid unconsciously on the road, along with the neighbour who looked as though he's seen a ghost.

'No no no...no way. Her beautiful son.. ' She thought as she ran to the road.

The poor boy was covered in blood, a ball he clutched tightly beside. The mother quickly called the ambulance. There was hope.

When the ambulance arrived, the paramedics immediately hopped out of the vehicle and brought the boy in. The mother assured the neighbour that everything will be okay, and that it really wasn't his fault. This was why she was so liked by everyone in the neighbourhood, her kind and generous heart, but it also meant that some dark-hearted people will take advantage to that and accuse her of things she didn't do. Nevertheless, she always stayed positive.

Hospitals, doctors, injections, scapel, needles...

Those were one of his earliest memories. Anything before that he couldn't remember, no matter how hard he thought.

The same young boy woke up in a hospital bed, with many clear bags connected to him. He felt like one of the patients in the Doctor Kdrama that his mother watches. It's just that, he didn't remember how his mother looked like, or how he ended up in the hospital, or what his name even was.

He sat up slowly on the bed, and saw through the small glass window in the door. There was a lady talking to someone, probably a doctor, looking at his white hair and thick glasses, along with a stethoscope around his neck. They looked like they were discussing something serious, wonder what it is...

He scanned the room. It was painted white with a smooth floor. There were two couches at the corner of the room, beside his bed was a small bedside table, there was a bowl of strawberries. Without thinking, he slowly reached for one and grabbed it gently. Just as he was about to place it into his mouth, the door opened.

"My child! Are you okay?" The lady from outside came rushing in when she saw her son awake for the first time in forever.

"Uhm who are you?" He asked softly.

He watched quietly as the lady's smile immediately turned into a look of worry.

"I'm your mother. Remember me? Mommy? No?" She asked and gently placed her hand on his head, as if he was a glass doll, which could break anytime.

The boy was confused. This lady who goes by Mommy started talking about the things he has supposedly experienced, but all of which seemed so new to him.

"Can you...feel your legs?" This sudden question grabbed his immediate attention. Why so sudden?

"Y-yes a little...m-mom." The lady looked even more distressed.

"Well, I'm so sorry dear, but you will never be able to walk...again." She said the last word with all her might, while caressing his face softly.

Soon after, she ran out of the room. The poor boy could see her through the small glass. She was crying, his mother was crying. She was hugging a man who he assumed was his father. Seeing his mother like that made him weak, he wanted to jump off the bed and run to her, and tell her that he was all right, but he couldn't, his legs wouldn't move, was what his mother said all true?

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·