Last Words

Naruto's ninja sandals thumped against the large tree branches as he leaped. They had finally caught wind of Sasuke's appearance nearby and he planned to bring him home like he always wanted to. 

     It was all for Sakura, the girl that he loved... and the girl who had died in his arms.

     As much as he wanted to go out on his own, it was impossible. Tsunade obaa-chan wouldn't let him an inch out of the village without other shinobi accompanying him. It annoyed him greatly, but he knew that his safety came first. Sakura wouldn't have wanted to see him hurt because of her.

     He clenched his fist tighter, sensing for any wisp of Sasuke's chakra signature in his range. In his right pocket, the letter that he had kept safe and from prying eyes-including himself- felt like it was burning.

     Naruto was too self-aware of it, to the point where he could feel its outline brush up against his leg with each movement. For the respect of the dead, he had never opened it, no matter how curious or depressed he was.

     "Teme, " he growled to himself, picking up the pace.

     "Naruto, " Kakashi warned, "You need to be cautious. He's under Orochimaru now."

     "I know, dattebayo."

     Finally, they were catching up to him. In the midst of a clearing, they stopped for the awaiting Uchiha who had grown tired of the chase. He stood there with Orochimaru's clothing on, arms crossed and eyes impatient.

     Landing on the ground, Naruto pointed at him and yelled, "Sasuke, I'm bringing you back!"

     "Hn, how many times have you said that?" he replied languidly, drawing his sword.

     The Uzumaki boy gritted his teeth in frustration, quickly charging at his former teammate. "Sakura-chan asked me to and I don't go back on my word!"

     Defending against the blade of a kunai, Sasuke looked around briefly for the pinkette before smiling. "And I see that she isn't here. She was always weak so of course she wouldn't try it herself."

      Growing more bloodthirsty, the orange clothed shinobi shouted, "Shut up! You know nothing about Sakura-chan!"

     "What's not there to know? She was obsessed with me and never gave you the time of day. However, she could never achieve anything on her own and always had to rely on you or I. She's too weak-hearted, so it's no wonder that she wouldn't come with."

     There was another clang against metal.

     "... Do you know what happened to her?" he asked, voice just above a whisper, but somehow loud in the quiet clearing.

     Kakashi stood silently with the other shinobi accompanying them, head lowered. Although they were sent to protect Naruto, this wasn't a battle that they should include themselves in. 

     The Uchiha's face turned into that of confusion, eyes wavering as he had no idea what was being talked about. "What..."

     "Sasuke... Sakura is dead."

     It was though something had snapped within him, something that he never even knew that he had- no, something that he had always denied that he had.

      "That weakling?" he scoffed, trying to cover up his own swaying emotions, "She was always the one to cry out for other people to help her. On a team, there would be no way she wasn't protected."

      "It was a solo mission, dattebayo."

      The Uchiha could no longer hold back his stunned expression and took a step back. "She can't even do anything! Who would send her on a solo mission!?"