Chapter 18 - Prey

When Amara finally felt a small amount of energy come back to her she used it to swim to the bottom of the lake which were several metres deep.

This did not take more than a couple seconds due to her tail that cut and glided through the waters. This was her playground. Here, she was like a bird soaring the open skies, free and uncaged.

She lurked at the bottom of the lake, for how long? She did not know. To the human eyes the waters were dark and murky, but to her it was as clear as day because her eyes were made for these conditions.

She stayed down there until she felt satisfied before finally deciding to swim back up, when she reached the surface she saw the beautiful blue sky and suddenly had the urge to sing.

Her voice started off soft and quiet before slowly growing stronger and more resonant, the wind carried her voice across the forest enchanting the ears of whoever heard it.

.

.

A couple meters away from the lake, a young man with brown hair and hazel coloured eyes leisurely walked through the dense forest.

Even from afar one could see that his physique was lean and muscular, he had beautiful golden coloured skin that showed that he was someone that was constantly exposed to the sun.

Although he looked of western descent his features were much softer due to the fact that some of his eastern heritage were coming through.

The moment the young man heard the heaven defying voice his steps immediately came to a stop, he had never heard such a beautiful voice in his life peaking his interest immediately.

He heightened his sense of hearing to try and pinpoint where it was coming from and found that it was only a couple of metres away from him.

Before he knew it his feet had already begun walking towards its direction. As he came nearer the trees parted revealing a beautiful lake that stretched out for what looked like miles, the scene was truly magnificent but he took no notice of it since his attention was solely on the woman that was in the lake.

The woman's back was faced towards him so he couldn't see her face, the only thing he could see was her long black hair that cascaded down her back. Her shoulders that were not covered by her hair, sparkled like diamonds when it came into the contact of the sun.

He stepped closer to try and see her face but still couldn't, he would have tried to get even closer but he feared that he would be caught and she would run away from him in fear which was something he didn't want.

It was such a shame because fear was definitely the last thing she would feel towards him but he wouldn't know that.

He slowly moved closer and closer but due to his anticipation he did not notice the twig under his feet causing it to break making a loud noise. The man immediately froze where he stood silently hoping that he did not scare her away.

His heart started beating so fast that he felt like he could hear it beside his ears, this had caught Amara's attention as she faced the direction where the sound was coming from.

She stopped singing and squinted her eyes as she carefully scanned the forest when it landed on the man hiding behind one of the trees. At the same time he had also looked in her direction causing their eyes to meet.

His eyes widened in shock. He felt like his breath was knocked out of him when his eyes met those emerald green irises, she was much more beautiful than he imagined her to be. He was so engrossed in his awe that he didn't notice the indifference that Amara's eyes held towards him.

Her expression remained vacant and her eyes steady but contrary to Amara the man's eyes flashed with many emotions and a sense of turmoil started growing from within him.

They continued to silently stare at each other gouging out anything they can but for completely different reasons, neither of them took the initiative to make the first move but the man felt almost compelled to come closer.

His steps continued once again until he reached the end of the warf, it was couple metres long so when it ended the water was pretty deep. The thing looked old so it did not have any railings on either side of it, the warf was placed only a couple inches above the water.

Amara could feel her primal instincts taking over. She had not eaten since her capture and felt an intense craving to eat the man in front of her.

She licked her red plump lips as she intensely stared at his flesh that looked absolutely tempting. The craving was starting to become hard to resist so she once again opened her mouth and let her melodious voice come out.

The air began trembling and everything became quiet, the rustling of the trees and the waves of the water became her instruments.

She swam closer to him as if caging her prey, not letting him out of her sight. It was then that she had started to change into what she really was, her teeth slowly elongated turning into fangs, her eyes changed into slits with her claws fully extended, but It seemed that these changes went by unnoticed by the man.

He unconsciously stretched his hand towards her.

"Are you real?" He whispered "or am I dreaming?"

To be honest he was unsure, the line between reality and illusion had long become blurred, he felt as if everything was a dream and with one touch it would all fade away, this was especially true for the woman in front of him.

He continued to stretch out his hand and just as he was about to touch her she abruptly dove under water.

"Wait!" He panicked, did he scare her off? His mind blanked and he rashly pulled his jacket off ready to dive in after her when an arm shot up and grabbed the edge of the warf. He gasped before realising that it was a woman's hand, her fingers were long and nimble.

Amara's claws had turned back to normal, and other than her bluish grey undertone her hand almost looked like a normal person's.

A/N

And we have finally caught up!!!!!!!!! I kind of rushed this so tell me if there are any mistakes :)