Chapter 24 - Passionate kiss

After their exchange, the atmosphere surrounding them felt somewhat fragile. Austin stayed silent for a couple of minutes as he tried to digest everything he discovered. To be honest he didn't think that Amara would have easily admitted that she wasn't human and so was taken aback.

He didn't want to lose the momentum and wanted to find out more, but given the fragile atmosphere, he tried asking questions that wouldn't push her boundaries in fear that she would pull away from him.

"You said that you're from somewhere far away. How did you get here?"

"..."

She remained silent as she lowered her head and took a step back, although her actions were quick he was still able to see the hesitation that flashed through her eyes. Thinking that she wasn't going to answer he didn't continue speaking.

After a couple of seconds, she finally spoke

"I was taken by humans..." she said slowly "they put me in a ship and hurt me"

Austin quietly listened as she recounted her experience and tho his face remained unchanged one could see his eyes shake with anger, the temperature surrounding them dropped significantly.

The strong surge of emotions overwhelmed him so much that key details that would have been significant clues in discovering what she was, completely flew over his head. The question of where she was captured could have been a big clue in learning that they were from two completely different worlds.

"Do you know why they captured you?"

Unbeknownst to him, his voice came out cold, slightly startling Amara but this did not stop her from answering his question anyway.

"...I was hunting" She said vaguely. Without saying anymore she continued walking forward leaving a slightly stumped Austin behind.

For some reason she didn't want to say that she hunted men, she wondered if it was because she was scared to see the fear and disgust that would flash through his eyes, but she quickly denied it and internally scoffed at the idea. Her eyes went a few degrees colder 'ridiculous' she thought

Her vague answer left Austin with more questions than answers perplexing him to no end. He found it difficult to put the puzzles together when he didn't even know half of the pieces.

In an attempt to unravel more of the mystery he tried to ask a couple more questions but quickly noticed that Amara had already clammed up and knew that she was no longer willing to answer any more questions, much to his disappointment he knew had no other choice but to drop it.

He silently consoled himself by thinking that they would be spending a lot of time together and eventually, everything would unfold.

The atmosphere around them returned to their comfortable silence as they continued their walk around town. The tacit understanding between the two of them helped them comprehend each other without any need for words.