II- blue

A shaky breath barely made its way past (Y/n)'s trembling lips. Her eyes must have been deceiving her.

Dr Hayes took a deep breath and lowered the test tube. She'd been trained in the proper protocol to take when a test result came back as uninfected, this involved her calling security to keep (Y/n) in place until members of an uninfected facility could come to collect her.

"You're uninfected... Though I suppose you can see that." The young doctor said regretfully.

(Y/n) could stop the tears that rose into her eyes. "Please don't tell my parents!" She cried out, she'd seen what happened to Gerry and didn't want that same fate for herself. "Don't tell anyone- I-" (Y/n) stopped herself with a choked sob.

Her doctor looked on worriedly. She'd never met an uninfected person in her life before, as was true for most people. Whenever Dr Hayes imagined one she expected them to be so... Obvious about it, like she could spot them from a mile away. She pictured them as weak-willed, soft-spoken, helpless little things but now (Y/n) was ahead of her: a person with real human emotions.

"I won't tell anybody..." She said, unsure if she could even keep that promise herself.

(Y/n) clutched her fast beating heart. "Thank you so much... What do I do..?" She was still crying, unable to stop. Her parents would be wondering by now what was taking so long.

Dr Hayes gulped. "I know a place that makes up fake identity cards." She took a slip of paper from her notebook and began to scribble out an address. "I helped my sister who's a sadistic get a possessive identity card last year and she still hasn't been found out. The guy there, he says he helps out the uninfected too." The doctor hesitantly handed over the piece of paper to (Y/n).

(Y/n) scanned over it, she recognised the street name from being a little out of town but she knew a bus route that would take her there.

"Tell your parents our card machine wasn't working and you had to go to a different office to pick one up." Dr Hayes looked dead into (Y/n)'s eyes and took a tone of graveness. "It's very important that you go alone and tell no one. I'll dispose of the blood sample and make sure it can't be traced back to you, I can't help you anymore than this."

"Thank you, doctor." (Y/n) said sincerely while tucking the bit of paper away. She knew that this could lose Dr Hayes her job if she was ever found out.

"You choose whatever strain you want to pretend to be and have a fake card made up."

(Y/n) nodded and thought over her options. This was all so overwhelming, everytime the thought of being uninfected crossed her mind she had dismissed it- it was so rare and she was sure that everyone had their doubts but apparently not in the way (Y/n) did.

"I'll be a protective." She said surely. (Y/n) knew it was what her mother wanted and entailed far less effort to lie in (Y/n)'s eyes than the other ones.

"If you get discovered... This... This can't come back to me, okay?" Dr Hayes was clearly concerned and for good reason.

(Y/n) gave her a positive answer through the tears she was rapidly trying to wipe away. How was she possibly going to hide this from everyone? She'd heard all the horror stories about what became of uninfected people who weren't taken care of by the government or by a lover. How their weakness and helplessness would be relentlessly used against them and if they didn't accept their place as vulnerable and useless then they were doomed for a life of suffering.

She unsteadily got up from the chair she was sat in and looked to Dr Hayes one last time. "Thank you... For not telling anyone."

The doctor still seemed conflicted but she nodded her head nonetheless. "Good luck, (Y/n)." She said genuinely.