XVII- avoidance

Gabriel poked at the fading cut on (Y/n)'s arm that no longer needed to be bandaged.

"See? I can't do a self defence session right now." She said nervously, this excuse would run out eventually but she wasn't ready yet. If he saw that her lack of physical ability compared to those with infection then (Y/n) would be off to a facility, the students of A.L.F.E. were more vigilant now than ever becuase of what happened with Marco the day before.

He had a delicate hold on her arm, locks of brown hair fell in front of his own face. "It still hurts?" There was some pain in his own voice as he spoke.

"Only when I move it around too much." She answered.

(Y/n) still hadn't told her mentor exactly how she acquired her injury, he already seemed to detest anyone with the sadistic strain and this would not help.

"I suppose we could do another first aid session... We need to do something."

(Y/n) nodded, a first aid session wouldn't be too bad as it didn't require any unique physical ability.

Gabriel let go of her arm, not before guiding it down to her side as if she couldn't move it herself. "Come to my room then."

They both headed for the second year landing oddly with similar thoughts. Both were about preserving (Y/n), though in different ways. (Y/n) was more fixated on what happened to Marco yesterday and how she was going to stop herself from getting exposed, whereas Gabriel couldn't stop thinking about how (Y/n) had gotten hurt and how he could prevent it from happening again.

"Sit down." He said softly. Gabriel was never very flowery or giving in his words so often the true meaning had to picked up in his tone which usually varied from monotonous and gentle to monotonous and harsh.

She did so and started to unpack the first aid kit.

"We can cover burns for today." He pulled up a chair beside (Y/n) and started to talk her through the process of treating a burn.

Wes winced as another yell came from another room in the house. The sadistic house was, unsurprisingly, the most violent and their housemistress did little to change that.

One more muffled scream along with a cackle made its way through his door and Wes wished he had ear plugs more than anything else. He knew better by then to not get involved if the violence was happening between a couple, the only time where intervention was really acceptable was when it was against someone random- (Y/n) for example.

He hadn't been able to get that day out of his head.

Wes pulled at his hair desperately, wishing to rid himself of all the awful thoughts that circulated his brain.

He loved (Y/n), so why were the things he wanted to do to her more akin to what one would want to do to their worst enemy?

But he didn't really want that, what he wanted was a normal relationship like he didn't have an infection at all, like his parents had.

Or did he want that?

Wes didn't know anymore. He had spent the past few years since his diagnosis trying to distance himself from his infection but now it had been set alight by (Y/n) and he wasn't sure where his love ended and his sadistic tendancies began. They felt like one and the same.

He hadn't hurt anyone in his life, he even refrained from killing bugs as if he'd get addicted to murder or something.

A deep exhale was pushed through his nostrils but none of his worries left him with that breath. He stood and opened up his door, intending to go in a walk to clear his mind.

Once he'd stepped out of his room his eyes were immediately drawn to a pair of boys sitting on the couch on the landing. One, in yellow uniform, was nursing the prominent black eye he had gained while the other, in purple uniform, had his arm lazily slung over his partner.

Soft sniffles left the injured boy, Wes knew that something like this was a common sight but it didn't make it any less shocking.

"What are you looking at?" The obsessive asked aggressively through whimpers.

Wes looked away and started to walk off, often the partner of a sadistic was just as defensive over them and their habits as the sadistic themself if they were in a willing relationship.

That wasn't what he wanted for (Y/n), although it was seen as the 'ideal' for most sadistics even if they didn't much care if their lover was willing or unwilling. Wes didn't want to condition or manipulate (Y/n) into putting up with his ways, let alone desiring them.

He walked out of the house, glad to be away from that part of himself.

Taking walks around the school were often all Wes spent his time doing, they helped clear his head and organise his thoughts as they became busy quite quickly.

He was headed out to the clearing just off campus and was at the edge of the field where often students went to smoke. Wes could see a group of junior possessive students doing just that right where he needed to be.

He rolled his eyes, as long as they were there then he couldn't get to the clearing. He distanced himself from them slightly and pretended to do something on his phone while waiting for them to leave. He happened to be just close enough to overhear their conversation.

"...She's off limits." He heard a blonde boy of them say, this was typical conversation for possessives. Wes expected they were laying their claims early.

"You knew her before school?" A girl in the group asked.

"Yeah.." The same boy answered. "(Y/n)'s mine, alright, I don't want any of you talking to her."

Wes almost dropped his phone at that remark.

"Got it, Harvey." Another one of them said in nonchalance.

Was this Harvey character talking about (Y/n) (L/n)? As in the same (Y/n) that Wes had fallen for?

What would he even do if he had? She'd pick a possessive like Harvey over Wes any day of the week.

His grip on his device increased, he simply couldn't help the ugly envy that his infection made him endure.

Wes swallowed down the saliva in his mouth frantically, he felt himself flushing over like a fever had taken hold.

His breaths had become shallow and shaky, his purples eyes squeezed shut as a painful headache taunted his peace of mind.

"You good?"

Wes looked up to see that the group of younger students was staring at him.

"You need anything?" Harvey asked after blowing out some smoke.

Wes scowled at himself and shook his head.

"He's a sadistic, leave it alone." A boy remarked, earning a scoff from one of the girls.

The group commenced their conversation again but Harvey was still looking Wes up and down.

"You sure you're okay?" Harvey checked again.

"...yeah."

It was only then that Wes realised he had frustrated tears running down his face. He quickly wiped them away.

He didn't want this hatred for Harvey in his heart, this guy would probably be better for (Y/n) than he could ever be.

"Okay." Harvey said with a small smile. "If you want to talk or-"

"I'm fine." Wes said sharply. "In fact I was just leaving."