XLI- not to be trusted

It was a Monday afternoon and (Y/n)'s classes were done for the day, she had miraculously managed to stay clear of Harvey by basically being in class or attached to Gabriel's side all day.

She bullshitted some excuse to her mentor about some work she had to catch up on with someone in another house when in truth she was going to meet Wes.

Even if nothing had explicitly gone wrong that day (Y/n) was convinced that someone took some of her blood last night and knew too much.

And that assumption was completely correct but she didn't have the insight to know that it was Lloyd.

(Y/n) heard a rustling in the bushes behind her and jumped in surprise, her shock was eased when she saw Wes emerge.

"Hey, is there something wrong?"

"When is there not?" (Y/n) sighed, just yesterday she thought Harvey confessing to her was the worst thing in the world but it seemed her bad luck would just keep on outdoing itself. She shrugged her blazer off of her shoulders and pulled up the sleeve of her blouse to see the tiny red spot on her arm.

Wes frowned and looked over her arm for a bruise or cut or something. "... What am I looking at?"

She urgently pointed to the prick. "Someone took my blood!" She exclaimed, anxiety practically radiated out of her body.

"Someone..shit... Shit!" Wes grabbed onto his hair and stepped back sharply. "When was this??"

"I noticed when I woke up this morning... No one's said anything but.." Her eyes frantically looked around to triple check that they were indeed alone. "But I'm kind of freaking out!" (Y/n) blinked several times in quick succession, making tears brew in her (e/c) eyes. "I don't want to go to a facility!"

Wes took (Y/n)'s forearms and looked her over. "You're not going to, okay? I won't let that happen... I-I'll say that you're mine-"

"And then Gabriel will take me... Or Lloyd or Harvey o-or my parents or- oh god! I'm fucking doomed!" (Y/n) began to cry just as she had done yesterday. She wished she'd never come here, she just wanted to see Gerry again.

Wes was finding it increasingly difficult to control himself as he gripped (Y/n) tighter as she kept on crying. As much as he loved seeing her like this he just prayed she'd stop soon before he did something he'd regret.

"You're not doomed. I won't let any of them do that, you're gonna be okay..."

"Wes.... Where did your parents live? I-I need to get out of here, I need to go to somewhere where everyone's uninfected. I need to take my brother there too." She asked, trying to stop more tears from falling.

Alarms went off in Wes's head. (Y/n) couldn't leave. He'd never see her again if she went away. "I-I... Don't think that's a good idea."

"What? Wes, I can't stay here!" She exclaimed. "I'm not safe!"

His hold on her once again increased and (Y/n) winced.

"Let go, you're hurting me."

Wes hesitated as he had no idea whether he should apologize or stand his ground. "Fine. I'll let go." He released her harshly, pushing (Y/n) to the ground in the process.

Her weakened ankle took the brunt of the fall causing her to cry out. "Wes! What the hell??"

He stepped on her sprained ankle and (Y/n) screamed futilely, no one could hear her and even if they could it was unlikely they'd intervene.

"I-I'm sorry but...You're not leaving." He stated, a certain darkness overtook his usually kind eyes.

"W-"

He stepped down on it again, relishing in the way the pain and fear contorted (Y/n)'s face.

"Stop it!" She screamed.

Wes knelt down to inflict further pain on her, his actions contrasted the uncomfortable grimace on his lips, but suddenly he paused as if he only then realised what he had done. "O-oh my god, (Y/n), I'm so-"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She yelled.

"I am so sorry! I didn't even realize, I just got overwhelmed when I thought you were going to leave." He tried to make his voice gentle to perhaps calm (Y/n)'s nerves but the intense guilt he felt caused his voice to shake and quiver.

"I am leaving." She said bluntly, scooting away when Wes tried to get closer.

"No, please, I can help you work this out! I love you!"

(Y/n)'s mouth fell open on his last remark, her shock was then promptly replaced with betrayal. "You... You're just like them!"

"No! Please!"

She willed herself to her feet and limped away from him. "Were you ever even going to help me?! Or was this all a lie??"

"I never lied, I just- I want to help you!"

"You looked like you were going to kill me!"

Wes whimpered, he knew this would happen. This would always happen no matter how much he tried to better himself.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered but (Y/n) didn't want to hear it. "I couldn't help falling in love with you...you saw me for who I was and not my strain, you were s-..so sweet," Wes smiled at the thought of the memories early on in his and (Y/n)'s friendship. "And then all the...feelings came with that love and I'm just so...sorry." His smile had faded and his head hung in deeply felt shame.

Whether he could help his instincts or not, being around him was a danger.

She thought she could trust him, she thought she had a real friend.

(Y/n)'s leg cried in pain as she walked through the campus, she was running through excuses of what she could say to Gabriel to stop him from going feral.

A third year dressed in green uniform made her way into (Y/n)'s vision making her gasp out and call her name.

"Clementine! Hey!" (Y/n) yelled out.

Clementine smiled at (Y/n) and made her way across the quad to her. "Hi, (Y/n)." Her orange eyes dropped to (Y/n)'s hurt ankle. "What happened?"

"Oh, I, um, I sprained it on the trip and... Just now-" (Y/n) paused to catch her breath. "Something happened with Wes."

Clementine saddened in understanding of what (Y/n) was saying. "Oh... I feared something like this would happen one day, how are you feeling?"

"I just have a lot going on... I think I need to get out of here." (Y/n) said. "Do you know anywhere I can go..?"

"I think I know a place... Give me your number and I can send you the address."

(Y/n) shook her head quickly. "My mentor checks my phone, I don't know when it'll be safe to leave but if you give me yours then I'll let you know if I need it."

Clementine nodded affirmatively. "Of course." She pulled (Y/n) into a delicate hug. "I'll send you my parents' place too, if you can't get to the community right away then they'll be happy to have you."

(Y/n) squeezed the older girl back. "Thank you so much."