XXIV- upcoming

(Y/n) was on her way back from the possessive house when she spotted Wes. She stopped in her tracks and checked her phone for the time, Gabriel would be expecting her back soon, but...

She orchestrated a text and sent it off to hey mentor.

(Y/n): Running a little behind on the project, I'll be another twenty minutes or so.

(Y/n) smirked and then left her phone on silent, she walked up to Wes who by then had noticed her too.

"What are you doing out here without your keeper?" Wes half-joked. "Or is he waiting around the corner?"

(Y/n) rolled her eyes. "I was doing a project with my friend." She nodded her head towards the possessive house. "So I managed to get Gabriel off my back for that."

"Good job..." Wes looked around as several students gave the two of them looks. "We shouldn't talk out here." He added quietly.

(Y/n) smiled at him sympathetically. "Where should we go then?"

"I... actually have to be somewhere." Wes told her regretfully, as much as he would've loved to spend more time (Y/n) his timetable wouldn't allow for it. "I'd love to catch up another time though."

"Oh, no worries." (Y/n) was turned and started to walk away, while she found it to be no big deal Wes immediately began to fret over him warding her off.

Surely he would be able to spend some time with her, what could be more important than her? His teacher would understand too.

"Hey, wait!" He called after her.

"Yeah?"

Wes hesitated, he'd already outright stated that he was busy so keeping (Y/n) for no reason wouldn't make any sense and would just make him seem desperate and creepy... That was the last way he wanted to come across as.

"I, um, I spoke to Lloyd." He admitted just to say something.

(Y/n)'s facial expression contorted to one of genuine worry. "What about? Did anything happen? When was this?" She asked frantically.

"Well, he spoke to me... Yesterday, it was while we were off campus, he just asked my name and left."

"You should be careful." (Y/n) mumbled. "I don't want to get you involved in this."

Wes raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean? He hasn't done anything, has he?"

"I don't want to give him a reason to do anything... And... I still don't know what the hell happened with Vlod. I mean so far you, Vlod and Harvey are the only people who know about Lloyd, and Vlod's... We know what happened to him." (Y/n) rubbed the back of her neck anxiously.

"Harvey... Who's Harvey?"

"He's my best friend, the one I did my project with."

"And he's..." Wes lowered his volume. "Infected?"

(Y/n) nodded. "But he won't do anything, he's got my back."

Wes huffed, part of it may have been jealousy that (Y/n) had this other resource for support. It made him feel somewhat special that he was the only one she was talking about this to. "Does he know about Gabriel too? And your... You know?"

"No, he doesn't know about any of that just-" (Y/n) cut herself off with a sigh. "I want this all to be left alone."

Wes glanced at the time and realised that he was already running late but he wasn't quite done with (Y/n). "Look, I have to go but can we talk more over the weekend."

"I'm going home this weekend... With Harvey." (Y/n) saw the disappointment flash on Wes's face in an instant. "But on Sunday afternoon I am all yours, okay? I'll try to get away from Gabriel for a bit for you."

"I think we've got a club meeting that night anyway." Wes told her. "Not that I'm opposed to seeing you before then."

"For real? I wasn't told."

"I said to Clementine that your phone was somewhat... Compromised, with Gabriel reading your texts and that."

(Y/n) nodded understandingly. "You should get going, I'd feel bad if I kept you any longer."

Wes smiled sadly and resisted the urge to hug (Y/n) goodbye as they usually did since now they could be seen by other students and faculty.

"My mom's literally a protective, Gabriel, nothing's gonna happen."

"I don't want you to go." He frowned. "At least not without me."

"It's one night." (Y/n) groaned. "I doubt I'll even leave the house." She had just told Gabriel that she was going back home for the weekend, in a smart move on her part (Y/n) had managed to avoid mentioning Harvey.

"There could be a break-in, I don't know what security system you're using!" He cried out as if he'd just torn her argument to shreds when in fact all he'd done was pointed out a very unlikely scenario where even if it did happen she had both of her parents there.

"No offence but I doubt you'd be much help in a break-in."

Gabriel stepped closer to (Y/n), so close that she had to crane her neck to look up at him, he pinched her cheek not too harshly. "Don't forget your infection status."

"How could I?" She grumbled. "When I have you reminding me every five seconds I can only hope to forget."

He let go of her and stepped back again, for as clingy as Gabriel was he rarely invaded her space. He certainly had his moments but he tried to stay true to the part of their agreement that made it so not much romance bloomed between them at this point.

Sometimes Gabriel couldn't help himself with telling (Y/n) that he loved her but he didn't overindulge the words to any extent. He wasn't one for compliments either so their relationship appeared more parental than anything.

But (Y/n)'s bad attitude had allowed Gabriel to know that he was being too lax, even if he wasn't possessive compared to Harvey or someone with that as their strain it was still a trait that was carried pretty consistently throughout all strains of infection: (Y/n) was his and she seemed to be having some trouble understanding that.

"Fine." Gabriel said. "You can go on your little trip home."

"Thank you." (Y/n) breathed out with a tone of finality.

"But-" He said, catching (Y/n)'s attention that he wasn't done talking. "We're changing things for us."

"What do you mean?"

"From now on I'll be sharing my bed with you." He stated.

"What? You can't be serious!" She gestured toward this bed since they were both stood in his room. "It's tiny!"

"Well, we're going to have to sleep real close then." Gabriel said with what was almost a smirk on his lips.

"You asshole, that wasn't what we agreed!"

"What are you going to do about it?" He asked her softly, it wasn't even an intimidating question or a threat. Gabriel sounded genuinely curious as to how exactly she was going to combat this.

(Y/n) stayed silent and lowered her head, this was nothing short of humiliating for her.

Gabriel made his way to her and kissed the top of her head with a gentleness that greatly contrasted her thoughts of punching his teeth out.