XLII- escape route

(Y/n) had encountered a sleepless night, she felt too hot laying next to Gabriel but she knew the chances of him moving were practically nil.

She was trying to think of way to get away, it wasn't as simple as waking away. There were things that had to be done, she needed money if she wanted transport and (Y/n) wasn't inclined to leave Gerry behind.

"Get some sleep..." He mumbled, pulling (Y/n) closer. "Are you okay?"

Her eyes were already shut so (Y/n) didn't respond, hoping he'd accept that she was asleep.

"I know you're awake." Gabriel hummed while stroking his hand up and down her back slowly. "Your breathing is different."

"I'm fine." She whispered back. "I'm just having some trouble getting to sleep, I'm too hot with you all over me."

"You're not normally... Is something stressing you out?" Gabriel's voice was growing in volume, developing from the sleepy husk he used at first to a more concerned tone.

In truth every aspect of (Y/n)'s existence was stressing her out, but of course Gabriel could not know so much.

"No."

"Do you feel sick?"

"No."

"Have you been taking any pain medication?"

"No."

"Have you been doing any drugs?"

"What? No."

"Are you on your period?"

"Gabriel!" (Y/n) sqeaked. "It's okay, I'm just overheating a little."

"Okay.... We can remove the duvet if you want?" He offered.

"I would actually rather sleep alone... Maybe I could go back to my old room."

"That won't do, I need to protect you here." Gabriel said adamantly, thinking of Vlod and how he violated (Y/n)'s privacy.

(Y/n) partly wanted to point out that his oh so vigilant protection didn't stop someone from drawing her blood, but the payoff was nowhere near worth the risk.

"Well, I can sleep on the floor... Or you don't need to hold me."

"I like cuddling you." Gabriel pouted while squeezing (Y/n) closer to him and pushing his face into her hair. She was still tensed when he held her but Gabriel was confident that would change soon. "You stay right here." He kissed the top of her head and stood up to open their window and allow a breeze into the room.

Gabriel then returned to their single bed and got back into place with his arms wrapped around (Y/n)'s form.

"Is that better?" He cooed sweetly into his mentee's ear.

She hummed in conceit and just settled into his arms. Even if it was cooler, her other worries weren't settled at all.

(Y/n) cringed when looking at her timetable. She had avoided scrapes with Harvey yesterday but she was sat right beside him this morning.

Her foot tapped the ground anxiously and her eyes were fixed on the door as if he wouldn't show up for class by some miracle.

But alas, he walked in and even if (Y/n) was expecting it seeing him again was still utterly terrifying. Her breaths quicker and her throat clos d up as he got closer.

Harvey sat down in the seat next to her without saying a word, (Y/n) was looking directly ahead as she refused to acknowledge him.

"Would you calm down?" He asked in slight annoyance, he could practically hear her heart hammering against her chest. "I'm still me, okay? Nothing's changed."

"Of course things have changed." (Y/n) said under her breath.

"Can I talk to you after class? There's... So much I need to say to you and I want you to-"

"No way." (Y/n) cut him off bluntly.

Harvey expelled some air sharply while grabbing (Y/n)'s hand. "I've loved you for so long and-"

"And I don't love you in that way." (Y/n) finished, trying to pull away but not being successful in her attempts.

"That's not fair." He said through gritted teeth. "I need you."

"I'm sorry, Harvey, I really am." (Y/n) tried to keep her voice as steady as possible, he wouldn't do anything in class, right? "But I can't share your feelings."

"You don't know that! You haven't even given me a chance!" He exclaimed, pulling (Y/n)'s hand to his chest. "I promise I'll show you how perfect we are for each other and if I still haven't changed your mind then.... Then you and I can be alone for little while."

(Y/n) stared at her friend in horror, she gave one last tug to get her hand out of his and it slipped from his grasp. Her mind wasn't even on the same wavelength as her voice to articulate a reply to his threat. She just looked ahead once again as their lesson started.

The very second their teacher said they could leave, (Y/n) was on her feet and ready to go.

A strong hand grabbed her arm before she could go though.

"(Y/n)... Please talk to me about this."

She looked between Harvey and the door where Gabriel was waiting for her.

"I need to g-"

"No, (Y/n)! What you need to do is listen to me!"

"Will you be quiet??" (Y/n) hissed, if Harvey was too loud then Gabriel would hear and shit would once again hit the fan. "Text me a time and I'll meet you. Okay?" She said to him noncommittally.

"Really? Oh yes! Thank you so much!" Harvey rejoiced.

(Y/n) scowled again, he was being too noisy. "I need to go." She told him bluntly.

Just as she had expected Gabriel was lingering outside of her classroom and immediately took her stuff into his hands.

"How was class?" He asked her.

"...fine."